Thread: IFP Armoring Work: Thurs & Fri. Nov. 7-8 @ 4pm

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Default IFP Armoring Work: Thurs & Fri. Nov. 7-8 @ 4pm

Later this week we will be working on a couple of armoring projects at Illiniwek on the north loop. The targeted sections are too steep and beginning to show moderate erosion with no suitable options to reroute the trail. Thursday and Friday are looking like the best weather days at this point so I plan on being out there on these days.

We are going to start at 4:00 because of the limited daylight and work until around 5:30 when it gets dark. If you have a headlight it would be a good idea to bring it just in case we need to walk out when it is dark.

Work Area Map

We will be hauling 40 paving blocks to two locations (20 to each site). Site #2 is right next to the parking lot and will be pretty easy to get the materials to. Site #1 is a ways away from the nearest vehicle access and we will be using wheel barrows to haul the pavers (all downhill) from near the lookout area. Once all the materials are on site, the work should go quickly because the dirt is very soft from recent rains.

Tools Required: Dirt working tools (flat shovels, rogue hoes), hauling instruments (wheelbarrow).

I will have 1 wheelbarrow, 4 flat shovels and 3 rogue hoes available for use. We could use another wheelbarrow if anyone wants to bring one.

Post up if you can make it out to help.

Can't make it Thursday or Friday. Will there still be a workday on Sunday?

I can be there Friday

I can be there both days

Board Position

Yes, there will also be a workday Sunday. If we don't get done with these projects during the week we will finish them off over the weekend. I'm working on the writeup for the Sun. workday right now and it should be posted shortly.

Russ and I just got back from getting the pavers. This is about half of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Oetgen View Post
    I can be there Friday
    Great! See you there.

Forgot to add, we will be meeting in the lower parking lot by the trailhead both days.

Board Position

We will be working at area #2 on Thursday and area #1 on Friday. If you can't make it out at 4:00 please meet us at the locations listed on the map above.

Board Position

Thanks for the help everyone. We ended up finishing up area #2 when it was dark so I couldn't get a photo of the finished product. We didn't get to start on area #1. I'm going to try to make it out Sat. late morning to work a bit at #1. If you are available let me know; I'll probably head out around 10.

The first course of pavers going down. The pits we are digging are for the anchors (pavers installed vertically) which should keep the rest of the blocks from "walking" down the hill overtime.

Working by flashlight to get area #2 finished.