Thread: Advanced Bike Repair Class at SCC

Default Advanced Bike Repair Class at SCC

An Advanced Bicycle Repair and Maintenance class has been scheduled at Scott Community College! The class will begin on December 3rd, 2013 on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30-8:30pm at the Bettendorf Community Center - Ballroom, with classes ending on December 12th, 2013.

Topics will include – Complete teardown and rebuilding on a bicycle including, bottom bracket and headset removal and installation. Front and rear derailleur adjustments will be done, as well as a full class day on bleeding hydraulic disc brakes. Students will also have the opportunity to learn the basics behind truing a wheel as well as seal maintenance on mountain bike shocks. A total of 8hrs of instruction will be provided, cost is $24.00/student. Phil Maess from Bike and Hike will be the instructor.

Registration can be done by phone, online, or in person. Use this reference code for Bicycle Repair Advanced - 136051

Phone: 563-441-4100 ask for Continuing Education Registration Office

Online: www.eicc.edu/ceregistration

Or in person at Eastern Iowa Community Colleges Continuing Ed Registration Office at 306 W. River Drive, Davenport, IA. 52801

For additional questions, please call
    Sergio Mendoza
    Prevocational Training Facilitator
    Eastern Iowa Community Colleges
    563-336-3412
    smendoza@eicc.edu

Thanks for the heads up. I just registered for the first collage class ive taken in 20 years!

Do you know what date registration for the class closes?

Nice, it should be pretty fun Steve, Phil makes it a pretty relaxed atmosphere, the time goes by quickly in this class! SDKmann, you can register up until the day of the class 12/3/13 if there are still spots available. There is enough space for 15 people in the class, as of this morning, there were already 3 registerred.

Sweet. I just signed up. Appeared that half of the class was already accounted for when I signed up, so it's likely going to fill up quick.

What's taught in the advanced class?

the class is now full....anyone know someone in charge that they could add an additional class. I know if at least 4 additional interested students :)

Phill Maess from Bike N Hike is the instructor. I'd say call him at the shop.
    I wanna ride!

Quote Originally Posted by LakeGirl View Post
    the class is now full....anyone know someone in charge that they could add an additional class. I know if at least 4 additional interested students :)
    Yeah I can look into getting another class going and get back to you asap with dates, etc.

I've gotten another Advanced Bike Repair and Maintenance class set up now, we are looking at Tuesday January 14, Thursday the 16th, Tuesday January 21st and Thursday January 23rd as the last day. Classes will run from 6:30pm until 8:30pm at the Bettendorf Community Center - Crimson Room this time. The cost will be $24.00 and we will have 15 spots available for this class. A discription of what we will go over is in the post uptop, let me know if you want any more info. Registration can be done by phone, online, or in person. Use this reference code for Bicycle Repair Advanced - 136585
    Phone: 563-441-4100 ask for Continuing Education Registration Office
    Online: www.eicc.edu/ceregistration
    Or in person at Eastern Iowa Community Colleges Continuing Ed Registration Office at 306 W. River Drive, Davenport, IA. 52801

Is this a bring a bike and work on it kind of class or will bikes be bought in to be worked on?

Phil will bring bikes to work on, talk to him on the first day of class to see if you can bring one in, people have brought bikes in past classes.

Not sure if Phil is changing the format but the class in December had a bike or two that he used as an example and the class was more like an interactive lecture. He uses the bike on the stand as an example but covers concepts for all designs.

Before I took the class I was hoping to bring in one of my bikes and use the class as a chance to do some repairs but I'm glad he didn't run it that way. You get 15 people in a room each with a bike and tools, suddenly everyone is in their own world and no one is learning much. Phil runs a great class.

Looks like got the last spot in this session.