Thread: FORC Goes West, Part IV

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default FORC Goes West, Part IV

I'm this >-< close to making the reservations for the 2014 FORC Goes West trip.

so far I've got:

Mielke
    Kings
    Ray
    Krud
    Vitt
    Dalbey
    Augie
    Sixers...?

...any other takers?

this post isn't me/us bragging about this trip or trying to come off as pompous and arrogant (well, guess that depends on who you talk to) but more as an FYI... this trip is a little outside the "norm" of classic FORC trips, historically speaking.

it's been known as "too hardcore," from a riding-nearly-every-minute-of-available-daylight standpoint. ...and most of us have been called "ride-nazis" because of it. frankly, I find that a term of endearment and I'm sure my other pals do as well.

that said, here's a bit of data from the 2012 trip (from my Garmin):

Day 1: Bartlett's Wash + Amasa Back/Pothole Arch/Rockstacker
    - 5 hours and 44 minutes *moving time*
    - 18.52 miles
    - 2762' elevation gain
    - 3.2mph *average* speed

this ride kicked our collective a$$es and had me worried how the group was gonna fare the rest of the week, 'specially considering I had The Whole Enchilada on the schedule for Day 2. we sat around the table at the mexican restaurant looking like someone punched us in the gut, kicked us in the balls, spit on our face, and stole our puppies. Niepert was puking in the parking lot. Yes, Neipert. ....did I mention this was DAY ONE??

Day 2: The Whole Enchilada
    - 6 hours and 29 minutes *moving time*
    - 31.12 miles
    - 2220' elevation gain
    - 4.8mph average speed
    - 28.6mph max (I'm sure Neipert and Kings reached 30mph+)

we collectively felt much better after this ride. we found an excellent diner - Milt's - and totally dominated everything we ordered. I had a double cheeseburger with extra bacon and fries and washed it down with a gigantic fish sandwich. others had double bacon cheeseburgers drowning in chili. day two, in the books.

Day 3: Magnificent 7
    - 4 hours and 28 minutes *moving time*
    - 25.47 miles
    - 1421' elevation gain
    - 5.7mph average speed
    - 27.9mph max speed

we took a route recommended by a local to make the ride "easier", which nearly turned the ride into a death march, but we had a decent day... well, other than an OTB resulting in a busted derailleur hanger, and a few others peeling off due to the heat and possible dehydration setting in.

...if you're still with me, cool. that's just the first 3 days. we still had 3 to go and we definitely didn't let up.

the reason I posted this up isn't for those that have gone on the trip, or to brag that those that have gone are bad-a$$es and no one else can compare...it's that I want to make sure you know what kind of trip you're getting into. we aren't driving 18 hours across this beautiful country (beautiful except Nebraska) to ride an hour or two then call it quits for the day. you're gonna punish your body, flog your bike (or a rental...or both!), and blow up a toilet or three.

and drink a hundred or so beers....ish.

there, I said it. so... who's in?
    Last edited by jimithng23; 02-03-2014 at 07:15 PM.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."