Thread: Winter Fat Bike Clothing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    I stomp with a pair of Patagonia merino wool tights or Smart Wool tights - ultra thin, move well, don't bunch, and although very thin keep me very warm. Believe what you read about merino wool - the stuff works and you can wear it multiple times before it begins to stink.

Depending on level of snow/water/rain of that day's ride, I'll wear either a pair of cheap Wrangler cargos if it's dry or North Face Freedom ski pants if it's a bit colder or wet. The NF pants have the windstopper material (they aren't insulated as I would think the insulation would cause overheating), zippered side vents; they breathe very well, keep me dry, and have served me well. I have a pair of Under Armor polyester tights but I don't like 'em cuz they get *too* warm during a stomp.

Stop ^ there for the answer to your question. Continue on if you have some time to kill...like me, sitting at my desk on a beautiful Saturday morning, stuck at work, caffeinated out of my mind.

Up top I use a thin merino wool base. I'll then throw on a polyester long sleeve Patagonia capilene or jersey, whatever's clean that day. If it's *really* cold, I have thicker Patagonia capilenes. Outer layer is a North Face Sentinel. Very thin, form-fitting jacket with Windstopper. You'd look at this jacket and say "there's no way you stay warm in that" and I'd believe you *but* that windstopper stuff is legit. Keep the wind out, insulate with a thin wool base and you're money baby.

Boots are North Face Chilkats...did a great job; never over heated (even though they're 400g insulated) and kept me dry but they're a bit bulky. They're getting replaced this year with a set of Salomon's w/Gore Tex - they're slimmer profiled, lighter, and better tread to grip my pedals. Really looking forward to trying these boots out.

For my hands I use a pair of Specialized cold-weather riding gloves with windstopper. They work great but reach their limit when the temps drop under 20*. For those days I layer over with a pair of North Face ski gloves.

For the noggin I use a GoreWear skull cap, a GoreWear "Cobra Commander" facemask (if it's really windy), and a Bern "Red" snowboarding helmet. Wrap up the eyes with a set of Smith goggles. Fully wrapped, I can't feel any wind at all. It's amazing. Other more fortunate men simply grow beards.

I used this system all last winter and never did I wish I was warmer and, maybe even better, I never overheated.

Some may read all this and think overkill. I look at it and think "I enjoyed every single second I was on my bike through the winter and I *HATE* the cold." I finally found a system that works for me.

Cold weather gear is worth it's weight in gold, IMNSHO...and, nearly everything I use was purchased 2nd hand. There's no way I'd pay full retail prices for that gear - even though it's damn near worth it.

Great deals can be found on eBay...or, if you want brand new keep an eye on Steep and Cheap.
    Thanks! This is perfect. I'll be purchasing some merino wool stuff, for sure.

Silk glove liners are amazing. Also flannel is warm.
    Experiencing the world through second hand information isn’t enough. If we want authenticity we have to initiate it. We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.