I stomp with a pair of Patagonia merino wool tights or Smart Wool tights - ultra thin, move well, don't bunch, and although very thin keep me very warm. Believe what you read about merino wool - the stuff works and you can wear it multiple times before it begins to stink.

Depending on level of snow/water/rain of that day's ride, I'll wear either a pair of cheap Wrangler cargos if it's dry or North Face Freedom ski pants if it's a bit colder or wet. The NF pants have the windstopper material (they aren't insulated as I would think the insulation would cause overheating), zippered side vents; they breathe very well, keep me dry, and have served me well. I have a pair of Under Armor polyester tights but I don't like 'em cuz they get *too* warm during a stomp.

Stop ^ there for the answer to your question. Continue on if you have some time to kill...like me, sitting at my desk on a beautiful Saturday morning, stuck at work, caffeinated out of my mind.

Up top I use a thin merino wool base. I'll then throw on a polyester long sleeve Patagonia capilene or jersey, whatever's clean that day. If it's *really* cold, I have thicker Patagonia capilenes. Outer layer is a North Face Sentinel. Very thin, form-fitting jacket with Windstopper. You'd look at this jacket and say "there's no way you stay warm in that" and I'd believe you *but* that windstopper stuff is legit. Keep the wind out, insulate with a thin wool base and you're money baby.

Boots are North Face Chilkats...did a great job; never over heated (even though they're 400g insulated) and kept me dry but they're a bit bulky. They're getting replaced this year with a set of Salomon's w/Gore Tex - they're slimmer profiled, lighter, and better tread to grip my pedals. Really looking forward to trying these boots out.

For my hands I use a pair of Specialized cold-weather riding gloves with windstopper. They work great but reach their limit when the temps drop under 20*. For those days I layer over with a pair of North Face ski gloves.

For the noggin I use a GoreWear skull cap, a GoreWear "Cobra Commander" facemask (if it's really windy), and a Bern "Red" snowboarding helmet. Wrap up the eyes with a set of Smith goggles. Fully wrapped, I can't feel any wind at all. It's amazing. Other more fortunate men simply grow beards.

I used this system all last winter and never did I wish I was warmer and, maybe even better, I never overheated.

Some may read all this and think overkill. I look at it and think "I enjoyed every single second I was on my bike through the winter and I *HATE* the cold." I finally found a system that works for me.

Cold weather gear is worth it's weight in gold, IMNSHO...and, nearly everything I use was purchased 2nd hand. There's no way I'd pay full retail prices for that gear - even though it's damn near worth it.

Great deals can be found on eBay...or, if you want brand new keep an eye on Steep and Cheap.