Thread: need to borrow 29er wheel for bashing

Default need to borrow 29er wheel for bashing

I know........I got hosed pretty good and now I either need to ride PAMBA's downhill race missing a spoke or borrow a 29er wheel from someone who doesn't mind a little abuse. Or course, if I smash it I'll replace it. Anyone?
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

you've had an awful lot of problems with those "bomb-proof" Easton wheels....

I s'pose you can use the front wheel from the 'Box - Salsa Gordo/Hope Hub, 36 spoke. Highly doubt you're gonna cause it any harm ;-)

What's your fork's axle requirement?
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

I've most likely got a wheel for ya
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    you've had an awful lot of problems with those "bomb-proof" Easton wheels....

I s'pose you can use the front wheel from the 'Box - Salsa Gordo/Hope Hub, 36 spoke. Highly doubt you're gonna cause it any harm ;-)

What's your fork's axle requirement?
    I need a back wheel, oh and thanks for not rubbing it in. Either one of you guys going to Farmdale? I can get it there or pick it up if I need to. I thought about using one of my EA70's, but I'll probably trash that for sure. They're a little flexy on XC.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Haha! Just rubbing you a bit. No one likes an "I told you so" so I apologize for that. I just know your riding style can be hard on bikes. There's a lot to be said on a high quality hand built wheelset.

That aside, my rear won't work with your bike as it's a 150mm hub.

Bummer.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Get an extra spoke? I have replaced spokes in my wheels with spares from Bike and Hike/Healthy Habits on multiple occasions. Bring in your wheel and they can figure out the right length. Or race it with the missing spoke. I really doubt riding with a missing spoke is going to cause the wheel to fail even with the way you ride. Loosen the two spokes adjacent to the broken one a little to correct any misalignment if it is a problem.

Ribbing. Not rubbing. Ribbing, dammit. Thanks autocorrect.

RIBBING. like teasing.

Ribbing.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

What is it? 142x12?
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

Quote Originally Posted by DH001 View Post
    Get an extra spoke? I have replaced spokes in my wheels with spares from Bike and Hike/Healthy Habits on multiple occasions. Bring in your wheel and they can figure out the right length. Or race it with the missing spoke. I really doubt riding with a missing spoke is going to cause the wheel to fail even with the way you ride. Loosen the two spokes adjacent to the broken one a little to correct any misalignment if it is a problem.
    He has Easton Haven wheels that take proprietary nipples. I ordered the spokes and nipples for him, the spokes came in but nipples were on back order (they failed to tell me that when I ordered them). Riding with a missing spoke isn't something that I'd recommend.