Thread: Cheap FAT!

Default Cheap FAT!

I know, I know; support the LBS....but look at these things!
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/fat-bikes.htm

Definitely not going to be on par with the quality of a Surly/Salsa, but for someone looking to get their feet wet in the fat biking biz...probably not a terrible option. From what I have gathered, the frame is essentially a Diamant Mammot knockoff. Check out this link, and the thread in the Fat Bikes forum over on MTBR. http://fat-bike.com/2013/04/diamant-...opean-fatness/

I admittedly don't know squat about fat bikes, but my biggest concern is the rear hub and it's 145mm spacing. Seems like it might be difficult to get parts for it down the road. Anyone that has a better grasp of fat bikes care to chime in on this thing?

By the time you put respectable wheels and cranks on there, you'll be at the same price as one from your LBS but still stuck with a (probably) low quality BD frame. I saw these a few days ago and just facepalmed.

I don't know why they chose 145mm. I didn't notice that when I first saw it. Add to the list of negatives.

The point about being a cheap entry point is still valid, though.
    Last edited by jJohnson; 09-20-2013 at 12:51 PM.

Looks like I was incorrect on the 145mm rear spacing...supposedly it is 135mm with a 17.5mm offset, similar to the Pugs(?).

That thing is amazing! They say it will allow you to ride over 3 feet of powder snow! Wish my pugs could do that.
    Tourist

...and you'll be laughing while doing it... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The description is full of little gold nuggets.

Quote Originally Posted by Neiprider View Post
    That thing is amazing! They say it will allow you to ride over 3 feet of powder snow! Wish my pugs could do that.
    3ft <--->
    Experiencing the world through second hand information isn’t enough. If we want authenticity we have to initiate it. We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neiprider View Post
    +/- 3 feet

80%of registered fat bike racers at the Farmdale fest are FORC members
    Experiencing the world through second hand information isn’t enough. If we want authenticity we have to initiate it. We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by sixers2009 View Post
    80%of registered fat bike racers at the Farmdale fest are FORC members
    The Quad Cities is a hot bed of fat bike activity.

Personally Im happy to see these available in an price range I can get past the wife.

I figure if a $200 26" FS walmart bike could hold up to what I used to weigh, this would be good enough for me. Ive ridden a fatty, and as great as it was, it wont replace my 29er, but instead allow me to ride the fat bike stuff and enjoy all that fun and I can ride happily in the snow so I can ride year round more easily. Kinda like the reason come tax time Im getting a "entry lvl" road or touring bike for commuting and riding pavement around home.

Is there really any downside to buying the bike besides obviously its going to be heavier? I personally want aluminum frame (no reason besides I like the looks of hydroformed aluminum) and ones like Trek want $2500+. My only concern is (keep in mind this is me, not hardcore, dont jump or doing anything crazy) that the frame and wheelset will last since those seemed to be called into question. Again, its me, going to tinker with it over time, but for ME do any of you see a reason NOT to???

This is hypothetical atm I know being fat bikes are booming like crazy so who knows what will be out by next summer/fall. But think more in this "price range" than its from bikes direct as after xmas, I start saving (what I can with new baby) for a fatty come next fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigris99 View Post
    Personally Im happy to see these available in an price range I can get past the wife.

I figure if a $200 26" FS walmart bike could hold up to what I used to weigh, this would be good enough for me. Ive ridden a fatty, and as great as it was, it wont replace my 29er, but instead allow me to ride the fat bike stuff and enjoy all that fun and I can ride happily in the snow so I can ride year round more easily. Kinda like the reason come tax time Im getting a "entry lvl" road or touring bike for commuting and riding pavement around home.

Is there really any downside to buying the bike besides obviously its going to be heavier? I personally want aluminum frame (no reason besides I like the looks of hydroformed aluminum) and ones like Trek want $2500+. My only concern is (keep in mind this is me, not hardcore, dont jump or doing anything crazy) that the frame and wheelset will last since those seemed to be called into question. Again, its me, going to tinker with it over time, but for ME do any of you see a reason NOT to???

This is hypothetical atm I know being fat bikes are booming like crazy so who knows what will be out by next summer/fall. But think more in this "price range" than its from bikes direct as after xmas, I start saving (what I can with new baby) for a fatty come next fall.
    If you're just cruising around in the snow and not stomping/running random crap over, then it should hold up just fine.

I highly doubt any larger (read: reputable) manufacturer will release anything in this price range in the next year or so.

well by the fun to join in is going with you all on the stomps, keeping in mind I will avoid more things than the rest of you anyway. I could have swore though usual fatbike wheels the spokes are offset/staggered on the wheels not running center like they are on this bike. The price tag has my attention with whats on it but i have time for more research and wait for guinea pigs to give them a good thrashing before its time for me to go fatty shopping.

Thing looks nice but I like the new specialized fatboy just wish I could afford one right now.

I just saw those coming this winter (literally never looked till this morning to see one), the $2k base model Im in love with, even with it being specialized. The olive green, black, with 4.8 tires got my name all over it. just how to save up and spend $2k without the wife thinking it was over $1k lol.

I have the same problem hope she will get into it so I can justify spending more on a bike to her.