Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Salsa Mukluk 3

3 25.00%
  • Surly Pugsley

5 41.67%
  • Specialized Fatboy

4 33.33%

Thread: FATBIKE....which one would you want?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Armyballer View Post
    I'm having hard time controling this itch
    They make a cream for that.

I want one and the wife is just about on board for it as an early Christmas/Birthday/Bikeday/YouRockDay all in one present. So I'm asking my fellow riders if they had the choice, which would you get and why?

1. Salsa Mukluk 3

2. Surly Pugsley

3. Specialized Fatboy
    Back to bike stuff! Geometry numbers are for medium frames...

1. Mukluk: 69.5° head angle, 1114.9 – 1131.9 mm wheelbase, 60mm BB drop

2. Pugs: 70.5° HA, 1082.4 wheelbase, 55mm BB drop

3. Fatboy: 71.5° HA, 1086mm wheelbase, 63.5mm BB drop (geo supposedly same as Spesh Crave)

Of all 3, the Fatboy will probably ride most like a "normal" MTB with the steeper head angle and shorter wheelbase. The Mukluk is stable through snow with its slacker head angle and longer wheelbase. The flip side is that it won't be as nimble on the single track if you are planning to ride it all year round. The Pugs will fall somewhere between the Fatboy and the Mukluk, leaning more towards the Fatboy in handling characteristics.

From personal experience, geo analysis aside, the Mukluk is a pedal striking mofo. My propensity to bushwhack led to a lot of flat tires (the bike is marketed as a bushwhacking machine). I lusted after that bike hard, fell in love with it, bought the wife one even, and 6 months later the honeymoon was over and they were gone. YMMV

All that said, Fatboy.
    Last edited by dgw2jr; 08-21-2013 at 03:39 PM.