Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Salsa Mukluk 3

3 25.00%
  • Surly Pugsley

5 41.67%
  • Specialized Fatboy

4 33.33%

Thread: FATBIKE....which one would you want?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Necro, which I and a few others locally own, has been black for the past few years. They decided to change it to greenish this year. Not much of a difference really. If you can get a good deal on a 2013, I'd say do it. It went from Black Ops, to Necromancer to Neck Romancer to just Pug Ops.

From Surly's site:
    A bigger footed, much more color matched version of a standard Pugsley. Where the standard Pugsley sports 65mm-wide Large Marge double-wall rims, the Pug Ops (the “ops” is for optional) utilizes our 82mm-wide single-wall Holy Rolling Darryl rims to expand its tireprint, thereby increasing its traction and snowshoe-like float over all sorts of terrain. The increase in rim width does put the tire closer to the chain, so to avoid chain rub we spec’d this bike with our OD Crankset. This provides all the chain/tire clearance necessary while retaining low- and mid-range gearing for crawling through the sticky and flying under the radar. The Pug Ops is available as a complete bike (with a Moonlander fork) and as a frame, no fork. Choose the right one for you from our fat bike fork offerings…or pick something else (there are a few non-Surly options out there) and build up your ride to suit your specific needs. Frogman suit not included.

I have upgraded mine to a Clown Shoe (100mm) wheel and Bud (4.8") tire on the front and I enjoy it. A lot.

Short of going full on Moonlander, which has the large (100mm) rear end, that is the bike (Pug Ops) for what you want to do. Dustin Collison (local good guy) has one and uses it similar to how I believe you would like. He has front and rear racks and usually has her loaded down.

I suggest calling Phil or Steve at B&H and getting a price from them. Let them know you are a FORCer and they'll treat you good.

Good luck.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

badfish, thanks for the info, I shot them an email and told them we'd discuss it more this weekend at Sugarbottom.
    Baller.....

"I'm a beer drinker with a mnt bike problem"

"Problem solved, problem staying solved"