Thread: Watch the ladder bridges, tarmac (scp) finally got me.

Default Watch the ladder bridges, tarmac (scp) finally got me.

Well finally had my first good wreck that actually damaged my bike. Bike got it worse than me. But really sore day after. Teach me to pull the stupid mistake of looking over the edge when Im already headed at it.

Had Bexter's voice running through my head while picking myself up off the dirt going "Always look ahead where you want to be never where you don't want to be going"

No injuries but a nice hike back to my truck with my first taco'd wheel!

Lesson learned Bex!!!

I've gone otb, slashed a sidewall and fallen off a ladder bridge/taco'd wheel,
    AM I OFFICIALLY A MTBER YET???? hehe

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Now is a good time to convince the wife you need a new wheel set. For your safety of course. ;-)

Time to get some Salsa Gordos laced to decent hubs.

Lmao. Not going to work this time I just bought this wheelset in May having enough trouble convincing her to let me replace the wheel.

Talking to her on phone (she went to stl to do her babyshower with her family) and she asked what was funny......

Her response (since I still have my stock wheelset) was "i think its better for your safety if you even think about buying another set, baby's due in 3 months"

Oh and those are Alex wheels on slx hubs . Though I wanted to try replacing the rim on this to try building my first wheel so who knows what I could end up doing. Remeber guys, I'm 270 lbs

That's why I suggested the Gordos. I built a set for another FORC'r that's your size or bigger and they're holding up perfectly. The Gordo is bombproof and those hubs are nice enough to lace up to them.

I wouldn't suggest building your own wheel unless you have a truing stand, tension meter, and know how to true wheels. It's pretty intense.

Gotta buy tension meter yet. I'm a DIY kinda person and have and obsession over learning new skills. Wheels and hydraulic brakes are the only 2 things I have left to learn. I expect it to take time and patience its just purely for fun and learning.

BTW, how much are those per wheel???

I will DEFINATELY keep those runs in mind, I looked them up, more or lessed named for clyde proof wheels. Though I'm honestly surprised with my crash these xc wheels werent damaged more.

Last edited by Tigris99; 07-21-2013 at 07:23 PM.

Looks like they've been discontinued. No bueno. All Salsa rims have been, in fact... wtf.

I guess I'll do some research and see what else I can recommend you that'd be heavy duty enough.
    Last edited by jJohnson; 07-21-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Flows?

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Flows?
    Probably the next best option.

Stans flows? Now that doesn't sound bad, trying tubeless was on my list of options.

Flow EX
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Cool, not too bad about 100 a wheel. Gonna have to be winter project unless I get this new job I'm applying for. Found the machine built version of my wheel with cheaper hub/spokes (origin 8 and generic spokes instead of slx and dt Swiss spokes) for 1/2 the price to get me by for the rest of the season.

Thnx for the help on this, it'll have me in a good place of being almost bomb proof bike for next season!

What the hell are you kids doing that calls for a flow? Arch EX all the way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie View Post
    What the hell are you kids doing that calls for a flow? Arch EX all the way.
    Arch EX is a good, strong, lively rim for racing *and* for a rider in your (Gunchie) weight class. I have Arches for my Niner and love 'em!

Going up in rider weight and/or more aggressive riding, then it could benefit you to look at a stronger rim capable of handling more abuse.

I have a set of Flows for my Niner for early spring/late fall non-racing events and rides...and my Lunchbox is rolling on Gordos. ;-)
    Last edited by jimithng23; 07-22-2013 at 09:40 AM. Reason: added more info
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Tigriss99, I have wheel set you may be interested in. It's the original stock set that came on my Scott Scale 960, I have no idea what they are worth, they have less than 100 miles on them. Let me know if your interested.

Hub: (Front)Formula CL51
    Hub: (Rear)Shimano FH-RM66 Disc CL
    Cassette: Shimano CS-HG62-10
    RimsSyncros XC-49 Disc32H / Eyelets
    TiresSchwalbe Rocket Ron29 x 2.1 / 50EPI
    Baller.....

"I'm a beer drinker with a mnt bike problem"

"Problem solved, problem staying solved"

Quote Originally Posted by Tigris99 View Post
    Had Bexter's voice running through my head while picking myself up off the dirt going "Always look ahead where you want to be never where you don't want to be going"

No injuries but a nice hike back to my truck with my first taco'd wheel!

Lesson learned Bex!!!

I've gone otb, slashed a sidewall and fallen off a ladder bridge/taco'd wheel,
    AM I OFFICIALLY A MTBER YET???? hehe
    That cannot be good... hearing my voice while laying on the ground and a taco'd wheel! Glad you're OK, sorry about the wheel. That stinks.

Yes, I'd say you ARE a MTBer now!! Congratulations Tigris!
    I wanna ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Tigris99 View Post
    Cool, not too bad about 100 a wheel. Gonna have to be winter project unless I get this new job I'm applying for. Found the machine built version of my wheel with cheaper hub/spokes (origin 8 and generic spokes instead of slx and dt Swiss spokes) for 1/2 the price to get me by for the rest of the season.

Thnx for the help on this, it'll have me in a good place of being almost bomb proof bike for next season!

Don't forget the cost of spoke when building a wheel. The old ones are likely to not be the same size as the ones for the new rim. If you use the incorrect size of spoke length, then tension will be wrong - at best. Handbuilt wheels are always stronger than machine built ones.

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    Arch EX is a good, strong, lively rim for racing *and* for a rider in your (Gunchie) weight class.
    Wait, did you just call me fat!? I roll Crests! I thought the Arch EX was the non-racer aggressive wheelset. Which ever strength you want, Stan's NoTubes is the way to go.

I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Ok when the wheels cost almost as much as my bike stock..... Russ if I'm going that nuts I'm going to expect divorce papers from my wife

Thnx Bex, the one thing about fat, it cushions the crashes

Omg I find out tomorrow if I get the job I applied for!!! Actually got a call today they were in a huge hurry to meet with me ASAP!!!!!! I land this job no more missing most weekend things without long notice, be able to afford the club trips next year and so on!

So stoked right now, almost as much as the night before I got to pick my trek up.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

how about a velocity rim, such as a blunt or blunt 35, with dt swiss competition spokes and brass nipples. Spoke selection is highly underrated as to the longevity of a wheelset, as well as balance, tension, and stressing. If you want it to last, get really good quick, or let a pro do it.
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

Ok so new job looking very promising know for sure next week but interveiw went well.

If that happens, I'm going to be after tough but not so tough they become heavy, and primarily a rear hub that will hold up to my weight/strength cause slx freehubs I figure I'm going to have to change every 6 months (already had to clean and regrease this one twice since I bought them early May), with doing above and beyond maintenance.