Thread: Passing in a race (newbie question)

Default Passing in a race (newbie question)

Ok, so I've been riding Sunder a bit since last fall and have a fair idea of the trails. So...I'm asking myself, in a race like is coming up Sunday, where in the world does one pass? There are a few obvious spots, like the clearing right before LT, or to route some of the race over the pavement section. But other than that, it is single track. There are a few sections where the brush has been weed-whacked back quite a bit (very challenging to pass through, I would think), but even then there is often a choice root, sapling or tree deterring such action. Or on Jubilee, it is all off-cant, so you either try to jump up in the brush on the left, or fall down the hill (at least I would) on the right.

Anyway, not having raced, this is a question that has been nagging me, so I thought I'd ask all you pros.

Thanks!

I think you will be surprised how easy it is to pass in singletrack...if the leading rider is cool about it.

If the race is already well underway and I get caught from behind and the rider wants to pass, I usually more or less pull over so they can pass and then try to keep up with them if my legs are up for it. If someone is trying to pass at the beginning of the race but I want to hold my position, I will make them earn it and hold my line a little more aggressively.

Read through these guidelines that were put together about racing etiquette, I know they helped me a bunch before my first race. Good luck out there!

http://www.riveraction.org/sites/def...0Etiquette.pdf

Good read! Just remember to always be courteous. I always thank racers I pass and say something encouraging. They may not be going as fast as you, but chances are they are hurting just as much if not more than you are. Show them some love and let them how great they are doing. It's just good karma.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Patience is key. Enter the singletrack where you want to finish the race. If you do need to get by someone, let them know. In a novice race, most will let you pass no problem. Just be careful that you don't hit a tree or cause the person you're passing to crash.