Thread: Need advise for race training for our SBP race.

Default Need advise for race training for our SBP race.

Many of you know me, ridden with me so you guys would be best to offer advise to be better preparred for this being its my first race.

I didn't enter to be competative, its a "goal" to do it and finish in a decent time frame, plus for the pure fun of riding with all of you.

I've been riding all I can, been improving endurnace greatly. Been doing paved riding on my marlin and riding plenty of hills to do the best I can to train. Even hit another goal yesturday, there's a long nasty hill on Clinton bike path on north end of town, never could get past just over half way and getting that far would wipe me out for ride home. Well not only did I beat the hill but i continued riding around town and back over the river home afterwards and felt great. Though at the top I had to take a good minute or 2 to catch my breath.

But now its the matter of my last avg speed for trails was 6.5mph at SCP, 5.9 when I rode in st. Louis a month ago on trails similar in hills to Sbp.

Is there any advise/pointers you guys can offer to help me train more effectively.

Anything I shouldn't worry about carrying on my bike during the race to remove weight (i have a good sized underseat pouch with tube, multitool, patches etc and frame pump on my bike normally)

Oh and I do carry a backpack with my lock, extra water and such to simulate carrying about double what my hydropack weighs when full.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Tigris, I'm no "expert" by any means. Last week I rode my first race in over 13 years (CAT3 40-49) and my goal was to FINISH. I finished but was reminded that I've got a longggg way to go. Like yourself I'm not entered in our race to win, I just wanna finish respectable and also like yourself I've been working on my endurance whcih still has along way to go.

I've been doing duck creek path in the late evening to work on my endurance, (15-25 miles trying to maintain 15.mph) it's not real busy and offers a few nice hills to work on your endurance.

The best advice I can give you on race day is DRINK WATER, then drink MORE water and then MORE water. I tend to get so wrapped up in riding I forget to drink enough. Same thing happened last weekend. Around mile 4 I was doing all I could (more than usual) to keep up with the rear of the pack when I realized I hadn't drank hardly any water and by mile 5 I was paying for it.

As far as weight goes on race day, as a "big guy", 1 pound under my seat isn't gonna matter much but with that said, I really don't see a point in carrying anything during a race such as ours in reguards to a repair kit. If I flat out my tire it's gonna take me more time to replace it then walk out but thats just my 2 cents.

As far as avg time on SBP I think I'm right around 6.8-7.0 avg but I guarantee come race day you'll shave some of that off. It's something about seeing someone in front of you that gives you that extra drive to push a lil more.

Good luck and see ya on raceday!!!
    Last edited by Armyballer; 06-28-2013 at 01:56 PM.
    Baller.....

"I'm a beer drinker with a mnt bike problem"

"Problem solved, problem staying solved"

Thnx man. I'm a big guy as well (though only 32yrs old). Started riding at about 360lbs last year was down to 315-320 first time I hit trails late summer last season. At 275ish now before gear. I live clr up in fulton ill so i ride the path here and being I live up towards the top of the hills in fulton the last leg is climbing up and down them all the way accross town to my house again. That's my "loop" when i only have an hr max to ride. Avg paved speed is between 13-14mph.

I hear you on the water thing I'm horrible as well and working on it.

Thnx for all that, good to know more ppl like me that are getting back into riding. Though this club has been a huge help just by being fun, friendly, supportive, and insanely NON judgmental. Can't wait till life calms enough again so I have time/assets to repay that.

Guess maybe I'm also over excited about the race, but its the fact I feel ready to do it that's a lot of the excitement.

Last edited by Tigris99; 06-28-2013 at 02:52 PM.

If you feel ready and are comfortable riding the trails with minimal stops/breaks then I'm sure you will be fine...especially if you aren't going out there to try and beat the world in your first race. This will definitely be a learning experience for you and you will figure out what you do/don't need during the race.

It sounds like you have been putting in the work, now it is time to get out there and have the fun!

Training? Just hydrate and stay away from bad foods the week leading up to it.

Thnx on the eating thing, good to know for sure I'm doing that right cause I went from eating good but occasional crap food, to a very strict diet of healthly unprocessed food since Monday, including a protien shake mix (got reciepe from my dad who is on a very strict diet to get diabetes back in check) that's working great.

Is there anything besides the obvious I should specifically avoid eating the week before?

Quote Originally Posted by Tigris99 View Post
    Thnx on the eating thing, good to know for sure I'm doing that right cause I went from eating good but occasional crap food, to a very strict diet of healthly unprocessed food since Monday, including a protien shake mix (got reciepe from my dad who is on a very strict diet to get diabetes back in check) that's working great.

Is there anything besides the obvious I should specifically avoid eating the week before?

Eat fruit, especially bananas. The potassium will keep you from cramping. Grilled chicken is good. Nothing that's going to upset your stomach, pretty much. Nothing greasy.

Bacon. Lots of bacon. And eggs, fried in the grease left by the bacon.

Avocados are amazingly good for you in numerous ways.

Butter in your coffee. 2.5 tablespoons per 16 oz.

....and now that I've lost you...I'm out!

;-)
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Lmao, well at least the avacado line made sense hehe, I love avacado but i eat sparingly

I could go on and on about nutrition, training, and everything else race related, but the only advice you need is just keep doing what you're doing. When race day comes just go out there and have fun. Really inspiring to hear stories like yours of winning the battle against weight. You're doing great man!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    Bacon. Lots of bacon. And eggs, fried in the grease left by the bacon.

Avocados are amazingly good for you in numerous ways.

Butter in your coffee. 2.5 tablespoons per 16 oz.

....and now that I've lost you...I'm out!

;-)
    I just did a race where they had bacon hand ups after a crazy steep fire road climb. I chose to not take the hand up. Pretty sure if I had it would of been left on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie View Post
    I just did a race where they had bacon hand ups after a crazy steep fire road climb. I chose to not take the hand up. Pretty sure if I had it would of been left on the trail.
    You were offered bacon, for free, and you denied?

We were once friends.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Rotflmao. Don't worry Gunchie ill be ur friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie View Post
    I'm going to start doing cyclocross for the free beer handups.

Did you say you've lost almost 100 lbs?!? Wow! Way to go. Hope I recognize you when I see you next. Keep it up. My recommendation is that the only way to really truly train to race is to race.

Time trials are great training. If you can hit a race before SBP, that will help. You just don't know how your body and your mind will respond until you actually do it.

That being said, DON'T OVER DO IT. Don't get so wrapped up in training or during the race itself that you hurt yourself. Remember, it's a local race. It's not for a birth in the Olympics. It won't make you famous. It could send you to a hospital! Get your miles in beforehand, eat well, hydrate, then on race day just go out for a ride and let your progress pay off. Enjoy!
    Dirt Don't Hurt

Experience is the greatest training tool, for sure. Unless you're Sixers... -_-

I finished 49th in my first race at Sylvan Island, then 15th this year after a full year of racing. I was definitely in better condition, but I didn't blast it out of the gate like last year and I knew my limits and how to stay within them. Last year I finished 27th at Jubiliee, arguably the most difficult course in the series, and this year I placed 14th because I slowed down a little bit (and the field was 1/2 the size).

Expect to finish your first race, and that should be your goal. Figure out your limits. I don't know if you plan on hitting any other races or not.

Only plan this year is to finish, no current plans for another race this year but not to say it won't happen. Not racing to race, but to add new excitement/element to my riding. Sticking to local trail and a race hosted by US for the moment, see how I do in a familiar enviroment with friends first so i concentrate on learning and riding over being intimidated by something completely new.

After this and how i progress over the season will determine if i do more this year or go for a full season of it next year.

Thnx dirt, I'm pacing myself and all that, not going crazy just push myself a little bit harder each time nothing more. And you should recognize me only lost about 15-20 since you saw my at the winter party

And Thnx much for the support and help with this. I know I'm taking this more seriously than most but for me its all or nothing cause ill be pissed if my end of race is a dnf lol.

Last edited by Tigris99; 07-01-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Holy crap I was able to ride a full loop at sunder today. First was all green and jubilee. Then decided I felt great and went out for a second (shouldnt have went to parking lot though for a break, paved hill up sucks even more the second time ). And....

Rode entire green/blue loop!!! Was Damn tired and had to play hike a bike in a couple spots/ few quick breathers BUT DAMN IT I DID 2 LOOPS WHERE LAST OCTOBER HALF A LOOP ABOUT KILLED ME!!!

thnx for the support guys so looking forward to next Sunday now cause I know I can finish and in about 1hr 15 or so mins . That works for me!!!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tigris99 View Post
    Holy crap I was able to ride a full loop at sunder today. First was all green and jubilee. Then decided I felt great and went out for a second (shouldnt have went to parking lot though for a break, paved hill up sucks even more the second time ). And....

Rode entire green/blue loop!!! Was Damn tired and had to play hike a bike in a couple spots/ few quick breathers BUT DAMN IT I DID 2 LOOPS WHERE LAST OCTOBER HALF A LOOP ABOUT KILLED ME!!!

thnx for the support guys so looking forward to next Sunday now cause I know I can finish and in about 1hr 15 or so mins . That works for me!!!

Good job man! Keep it up!
    Experiencing the world through second hand information isn’t enough. If we want authenticity we have to initiate it. We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

Dont ever be discouraged about where you finish in a race. They are not good measures of improvement. IMHO the absolute best way to improve your riding skills and fitness is to ride with people who are faster than you, and continually push you. Every ride may feel like a race, but you will feel good about it enjoying that beer at the end of the ride, and you will be surprised the next time you are out riding that hill how easy its become. When you want to get serious...worry about nutrition/diet, etc, but until then, keep it fun by chasing the fast guys around, and racing for FUN. And just keep riding. As often as you can, as fast as you can, for as long as you can.