Thread: Roadbike aero bars on a Mntbike?

Default Roadbike aero bars on a Mntbike?

So today I'm doing duck creek path on my 29er, I'm moving pretty well at about 17mph when I get blown away by this guy on a Mnt bike with aero extender bars like you'd see on a road-bike. Not EVER seeing this before, I ask why? Then I ask would this possibly aid me when I do that 70mile gravel race? Never being a big road-bike rider I could use some schooling on the benefits of such a setup if any at all on a Mnt bike (mt 29er) when riding roads.

So....is this something that may help "comfort wise" on my 70mile gravel ride?

Please discuss.....
    Baller.....

"I'm a beer drinker with a mnt bike problem"

"Problem solved, problem staying solved"

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

I have heard of people using aerobars for a more comfortable position on long road rides but a road bike involves a different body position than a mountain bike. I think you would have to try it out to see if it works for you.

Another aspect to consider is that riding in aerobars makes the bike is much more unstable than when using the regular bars. Given you are riding gravel roads, which I will assume are not well maintained, using the aerobars without going down might be tricky.

I would suggest not using aerobars in the gravel race. You will lose a lot of control and put others around you at risk, too, which is why they are frowned upon in group road rides.

Quote Originally Posted by jJohnson View Post
    I would suggest not using aerobars in the gravel race. You will lose a lot of control and put others around you at risk, too, which is why they are frowned upon in group road rides.
    ^ What this guy said. Paved bike paths and bumpy gravel roads are apples to oranges.

This is what you need to speed things up:

I'd avoid the aero bars, but tire selection could shave off some time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie View Post
    This is what you need to speed things up:

I'd avoid the aero bars, but tire selection could shave off some time.
    lol...yea..I agree but I'm not so sure my wife would agree....right now I'm buttering her up for a Fatty come this winter. I'll ride it on my 29er and hope my teeth fillings dont rattle out.

Thanks for the info folks....
    Baller.....

Buttering her up for a fattie is a walk in the park. You'll be more active, in better shape, and ride more through the winter than you ever have.

It makes you happier.

It makes you cooler.

After all, it is....

Fat Bike.

And fat bike don't give a ****.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Here, this may do the job:

A little cheaper than my first option. I couldn't image doing any long rides without my Ergons.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie View Post
    Here, this may do the job:

A little cheaper than my first option. I couldn't image doing any long rides without my Ergons.
    Yep...I'm currently running those (specialized version) now on 29er.
    Baller.....

Quote Originally Posted by Armyballer View Post
    Yep...I'm currently running those (specialized version) now on 29er.
    Specialized version!? Than you you're not running Ergons. You're missing out. Grips is what Ergon does.

These are the ones I'm using now...
    Baller.....