Thread: Stems: Rise, Flat, or Drop?

Default Stems: Rise, Flat, or Drop?

How is your stem set up and why? I just flipped mine from a flat or negative set up to a rise. I keep going back and forth on it, not sure which I like better. It's like the bike becomes a different animal when I change it. My road bike is -8° and that's how I like it, but the mountain bike is a whole different animal.

Any spacers under the stem?

I go flat, short, and low. not sure why. it just works. long stems hurt my back.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

I got spacers and slight rise on my stem 80mm on my marlin. Had to play around with it all for a while to find a comfortable posistion for my wrists and back. Had to balance weight so wrists don't give me trouble on longer rides (had 2 seperate surgeries on my right hand and wrist, so it gets sore quick if I have too much weight on it).

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Any spacers under the stem?
    Yeah. Maybe 1-1/4" of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Russhole View Post
    I go flat, short, and low. not sure why. it just works. long stems hurt my back.
    I have a 90mm I think. Faster on flats with it low, but had throuble getting over things. Today I flipped it and had no problems with climbing up and over roots that would normally give me fits.

Rule of thumb is if you're xc racing you want your handlebar level or below the saddle. Trail riding you want it above the saddle (up to an inch I believe). It's all really just personal preference though. I have mine just a little above my saddle (maybe a .25 inch or a little less). Like being more upright on long rides. I also like mine with a rise so I can see my Garmin mounted on my stem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.