Thread: South Kettle Classic July 22nd

Default South Kettle Classic July 22nd

I really, really want to do this race. This was my first endurance race and when I fell in love with endurance racing (mainly because I beat neips... which was the only time I beat neips). I've always wanted to come back to do it again. There is a 12 hour (8am start), 6 hour (1pm start), and 3 hour (3pm start). I plan on doing the 6 hour myself. BUT, as always, this is flight dependent (my wife is a flight attendant so I fly standby which equals no guaranteed seat). I have a couple of options here though. Fly into Madison and rent a car. Fly into Milwaukee and rent a car. Fly into the QC on Thursday, work from my parents place on Friday, and drive up with an awesome FORC'er! Gas money and beer included. So, anyone else interested in this awesome race?

The Gunch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Subject Edit: South Kettle Classic July 20th

Hmm...I'd like to think I'm gonna do the 6hr but that's to far out to give you a 100% answer, I've yet to get the July work schedule....I'll post here as soon as I can verify 100%.

**** EDIT ****

July scheulde just hit my inbox, I'm not working that weekend however, IHRS #7 - Palos Meltdown is that same day and I'm not decided on which I'll do. I'm leaning toward the Kettle Classic in prep for the 70/120mile Grivel Grinder on Aug 3...I know this dosn't help you much right now. I'll update the thread once a decision is made.
    Last edited by Armyballer; 06-21-2013 at 10:08 AM.
    Baller.....

"I'm a beer drinker with a mnt bike problem"

"Problem solved, problem staying solved"

This race is in less than two weeks! Looks like they changed around the start times:

-Race start/finish will be held at EMMA CARLIN (Not John Muir)
    -Day of Race Registration Opens around 6:00am
    -80 Mile Race – 8:00am Start (7:45am pre-race meeting)
    -40 Mile Race – 12:00pm Start (11:45am pre-race meeting)
    -20 Mile Race – 3:00pm Start (2:45pm pre-race meeting)
    -Lap Distance – (45min to 75min worth)
    -Course – (awesome)
    -Last Lap must be completed by 8:00pm (keep track of time)

Looks like they are having set miles rather than a set amount of time. Although I'm tempted to do the 80 miler, I'm probably going to do the 40 miler. If someone who races all the time big time endurance races in Colorado is coming back to the Midwest to do a race, that should pretty much tell you which is the better race between South Kettle and Palos. Just sayin'.

Gunchie is right about the Kettle race being awesome. Never been to Palos though so can't offer a comparison. Cool that they're doing it at Emma this time versus John Muir. They've done a lot of good work to Emma.
    I wanna ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie View Post
    ...If someone who races all the time big time endurance races in Colorado is coming back to the Midwest to do a race, that should pretty much tell you which is the better race between South Kettle and Palos.....
    Comparing an endurance race with an XC race is like saying your DH bike is better than my BMX bike - 2 completely different races, formats, and experiences.

Come on dude, you know better.

"ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

They have a 20 mile version which is a mile less than the comp class at Palos. Only 5 miles more than sport class. Close enough.

Everything after that big grass climb at Palos is fun... until you hit the first climb and get stuck behind 100 people from the 30-39/40-49 group walking up a gravel climb. I liked Palos, for the most part.

Never been to Kettle. I would go do the 20 mile race, though.

Well, Madison and Milwaukee are out of the question. Flights out of the QC are okay, but not great. I'm keeping my eye on the flight loads. If this is going to happen I'm going to have to drive from the QC. Is anyone at all interested in this race? Sounds like most are going to Palos. Just need to know so I can plan accordingly.

Sorry Gunchie, I've had a minor setback with my back and won't be riding trail for the next week or so, I won't make either race this weekend.
    Baller.....

"I'm a beer drinker with a mnt bike problem"

"Problem solved, problem staying solved"

Well, anyone going to be around for cocktails on Friday at least?

Well, anyone going to be around for cocktails on Friday at least?
    Ummm, yes please. I have stuff to do until about 8, but then I'll be downtown on my trusty steed.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by badfish41 View Post
    Ummm, yes please. I have stuff to do until about 8, but then I'll be downtown on my trusty steed.
    Word. Where do the cool kids hang out these days?

Word. Where do the cool kids hang out these days?
    Front Street Brewery @ The Freight House

I could make it down.

Sweet! I'll be there.