Thread: Illiniwek Park night ride on Thursday

Default Illiniwek Park night ride on Thursday

I plan to be there by 2000 on Thursday. Anyone interested? Need a ride? Let me know.

Just checked the weather, it dosn't look good for the next few days, I still plan to go unless we get to much rain and the trails are closed.

i might be down with that.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Sounds like a good time to me. I'll be there.
    Experiencing the world through second hand information isn’t enough. If we want authenticity we have to initiate it. We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

Remember, if you plan on a night ride at Illiniwek then the park rangers must be given prior notice. I'm in, also.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

I will be there and I'll give the park a call tomorrow to let them know we will be riding.

Quote Originally Posted by jJohnson View Post
    Remember, if you plan on a night ride at Illiniwek then the park rangers must be given prior notice. I'm in, also.
    Even if were off the trails by 2200?

Board Position

Yeah, even though the park is open until 10pm during non-winter months they want to close the trails a half hour after sunset for "safety" reasons. I'm working to get that changed because it really cuts into the time available to ride for those who work late in the fall. You can help by sending a message to the Rock Island County Parks Director asking that the trails stay open until the park officially closes.

Quote Originally Posted by DH001 View Post
    Yeah, even though the park is open until 10pm during non-winter months they want to close the trails a half hour after sunset for "safety" reasons. I'm working to get that changed because it really cuts into the time available to ride for those who work late in the fall. You can help by sending a message to the Rock Island County Parks Director asking that the trails stay open until the park officially closes.
    Roger that, will do, it's not like these trails are in MOAB, you'd have to be an idiot to get lost out there as well. I've been out there past dark before and you can get a general idea of direction by the city lights in the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by DH001 View Post
    I sent an email, this is what I got back....

Currently we have no rules allowing night rides due to liability questions. Although I am not opposed to night rides under the following conditions; 1. night rides are scheduled - we need to know when people will be on our trail system after hours or after scheduled riding times 2. night rides are structured - a buddy system in case of injury 3. night rides are safe - proper safety equipment if and when needed

Further discussion is probably necessary before RI county forest preserve districts allows night rides. Try to get into contact with Drew Hanson with FORC. He is the trail steward for Illiniwek from FORC. We have had this discussion before and if their is enough interest we can try and create a structured night riding event.

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 2:11 PM, Moore, Brian W MAJ USARMY (US) <brian.w.moore6.mil@mail.mil> wrote:

Sir,

I'm writing to ask about the hours at the park in regards to "Night Rides"
    for mountain bikers. I've seen the wooden sign that says the park closes at
    2200 but have heard rumor that mnt bikers have to be off the trails by 2130.
    Is this in fact true? With sunset getting later and later it leaves very
    little time for a very enjoyable "Night Ride". Is there any way possible to
    conduct "Night Rides"? At least in a group? What would it take to make
    such an event happen? I'm sorry if my questions have common known answers,
    I'm new to the Quad City's area and just want to make sure I'm following any
    unwritten rules.

Board Position

Just talked to the park and we are good for Thursday night. Charge those lights.

If everyone is wanting to do night rides frequently it would be good to get a schedule together and send it to the park.

If the counting on my hands is correct, this is at 8pm, correct? I might be able to make that work, hope to see everyone there.

Board Position

I'm thinking the trails are going to be closed tomorrow if we get any rain tonight. I will check later tomorrow afternoon and see how they look. My plan B is to do some trailwork around 5:30 if the trails are closed.

I plan on going by there at the crack of dawn before work...I'll send a report.

I see on the site it's closed so I guess we'll try agian next week. :/

Board Position

I just checked the trails and they are much to wet to ride tonight. Instead of riding, I'm going to do some trail work at 5:30 if you want to help out.