John used to be a Time guy... for probably the better of 20 years. A pair of Egg Beaters came on the Giant I got last year, and he tried them out and liked them (I was a platform pedal kind of girl and had no interest in the clipelss pedals). It wasn't until about 5 weeks ago that I decided to try clipless pedals (thanks to the encouragement from a number of people). I went with the Crank Brothers Mallet pedals. They have the egg beater mechanism but also have a platform. I thought that would be a good compromise for me being a newbie to clipless riding. I LOVE them! There is enough slack that I don't feel pinned down, and I have found that they are easy to get out of when needed. I've only had 1 "clipless incident." John also bought a pair of the Mallets (a better pair than the ones I bought) and also loves them. He said he'd never go back to Time. He liked the egg beaters so much that he also bought the regular egg beaters (no platform) for another one of his bikes.

Keep in mind though that the pedals Ray broke at the Stampede were the Mallets. I think the spindle broke off.