Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2nd annual Xgravelganza...anyone plan to ride it?

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Sylvan Island

Quote Originally Posted by Armyballer View Post
    PS...I plan to ride the final 20-25 (40-50 miles total) miles of this route on Sunday afternoon if anyone is interested in going with me.
    what time and where are you leaveing from.
    In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Quote Originally Posted by forcmeister View Post
    what time and where are you leaveing from.
    I'm currently working a 24hour shift, I get off at 0700 Sunday morn so I'll need a nap, plan to leave Bettendorf area around 2pm, starting the ride around 3pm and ending around 6-7pm. I plan to do 35-50miles total depending on how I'm feeling. If interested I can pick you up if your in the area. LMK!!!
    Baller.....

"I'm a beer drinker with a mnt bike problem"

"Problem solved, problem staying solved"

I am doing the 70 mile route. I plan to head up there this afternoon to ride 20 - 30 miles.

Board Position

I'm currently working a 24hour shift, I get off at 0700 Sunday morn so I'll need a nap, plan to leave Bettendorf area around 2pm, starting the ride around 3pm and ending around 6-7pm. I plan to do 35-50miles total depending on how I'm feeling. If interested I can pick you up if your in the area. LMK!!!
    I was hoping to get out a little earlier than that, sorry.

After riding 140mi yesterday, I really wish I could do this.

Quote Originally Posted by jJohnson View Post
    After riding 140mi yesterday, I really wish I could do this.
    So do I...

Rode another 50miles of it yesterday, I was on one rode when I came upon the grader, talk about a mess, it basically turns the road into a miniature rock garden, 4 miles of it. Somebody else was out there yesterday, I never saw the biker but I saw tracks from at least around the 45mile mark to the finish. Weather for raceday looks good as of today, should be a lot of fun.
    Baller.....

Any other FORC riders doing it (70miles)? Would possibly like to have a rideing partner. I'm looking to finish it in about 5 hours, anyone?
    Baller.....

Board Position

I'm planning on doing it, was planning on the 120, but now i'm kinda rethinking the idea, 70 should be good though. I'm sure that I'll see you there, we can ride together and see how things go. I'm not going to try to set any records, 5 hours sounds good.

FM

Any other FORC riders doing it (70miles)? Would possibly like to have a rideing partner. I'm looking to finish it in about 5 hours, anyone?
    Mid to upper 70s in July with 23-ish miles of incredibly delicious singletrack in the QCA that continually begs to be shredded....

Orrrrr....

Miles and miles and miles and miles of gravel roads....

Hope you have a good time but I'll see ya at the trailhead. ;-)
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    Mid to upper 70s in July with 23-ish miles of incredibly delicious singletrack in the QCA that continually begs to be shredded....

Orrrrr....

Miles and miles and miles and miles of gravel roads....

Hope you have a good time but I'll see ya at the trailhead. ;-)
    As long as there are 2 wheels between your legs...

As long as there are 2 wheels between your legs...
    which is why I said "Hope you have a good time..."

Horses for courses!

I'm becoming more and more interested in this event, hopefully it's not too late to join in the fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulette View Post
    I'm becoming more and more interested in this event, hopefully it's not too late to join in the fun?
    Nope... go here to sign up.

https://www.facebook.com/HealthyHabitsQC
    Baller.....

A summary of this Gravel Ride.

There were 25 Riders, 20 rode the short ride (70miles) and 5 rode the long (120miles).
    I did all I could to hang with the main pack but soon figured out I wasn’t in that class of riders just yet. Those guys were burning it up, I think they were averaging somewhere around 19mph at the 25mile mark. The thrill of the race and trying to keep up with the main pack had my first 20miles 4 minutes under my fastest 20mile ride ever. I rolled in to the 40mile mark just over 3 hours and finished up 70miles @ 5:22 (11th place). The longest ride I had ever ridden prior to Sat was 50miles. The last 20 miles were a challenge. I started to cramp around mile 50 and they kept coming about every 4-5 miles. Luckily they never hit both legs at the same time. The cramps only hit while going downhill and while I wasn’t peddling so I learned real quick to not stop peddling. I did all I could to catch a pack in front of me during the last 30 miles. They had left the checkpoint at mile 40 about 5 minutes in front of me and I was able to close the distance to 3 minutes by the finish. I can’t wait to do another gravel race; there is a 55mile night race in Sept if anyone is interested in going with. I would think riding with others would help; I did most of the 70mile race solo. Overall a great ride and I learned so much about long distance riding, esp on gravel. I can’t wait for next years; I’ll do it and finish closer to the front guaranteed.
    Major props to those 5 brave souls that rode the 120, the top 3 ended in a sprint to the finish with a time of 7:49.
    More props to Healthy Habits and especially Greg Aronson for making this happen.
    On a side note, I also managed to raise $1,000 for a friend of mine who was killed in Iraq. A scholarship in his name was created at our college so ultimately I just had to finish.
    Baller.....

...I also managed to raise $1,000 for a friend of mine who was killed in Iraq. A scholarship in his name was created at our college so ultimately I just had to finish.
    Great recap... THIS is by far the best part. Incredible... and thank you.

A summary of this Gravel Ride.

There were 25 Riders, 20 rode the short ride (70miles) and 5 rode the long (120miles).
    I did all I could to hang with the main pack but soon figured out I wasn’t in that class of riders just yet. Those guys were burning it up, I think they were averaging somewhere around 19mph at the 25mile mark. The thrill of the race and trying to keep up with the main pack had my first 20miles 4 minutes under my fastest 20mile ride ever. I rolled in to the 40mile mark just over 3 hours and finished up 70miles @ 5:22 (11th place). The longest ride I had ever ridden prior to Sat was 50miles. The last 20 miles were a challenge. I started to cramp around mile 50 and they kept coming about every 4-5 miles. Luckily they never hit both legs at the same time. The cramps only hit while going downhill and while I wasn’t peddling so I learned real quick to not stop peddling. I did all I could to catch a pack in front of me during the last 30 miles. They had left the checkpoint at mile 40 about 5 minutes in front of me and I was able to close the distance to 3 minutes by the finish. I can’t wait to do another gravel race; there is a 55mile night race in Sept if anyone is interested in going with. I would think riding with others would help; I did most of the 70mile race solo. Overall a great ride and I learned so much about long distance riding, esp on gravel. I can’t wait for next years; I’ll do it and finish closer to the front guaranteed.
    Major props to those 5 brave souls that rode the 120, the top 3 ended in a sprint to the finish with a time of 7:49.
    More props to Healthy Habits and especially Greg Aronson for making this happen.
    On a side note, I also managed to raise $1,000 for a friend of mine who was killed in Iraq. A scholarship in his name was created at our college so ultimately I just had to finish.
    That's awesome that you were able to raise $1000. Great job.

What's the date for the night race? I'll be down to go with you.

Bad ass!

That's awesome that you were able to raise $1000. Great job.

What's the date for the night race? I'll be down to go with you.
    Sept 1...Google Night Bison Gravel Nocturne....no pre-reg, cue sheets avail at start.
    Baller.....

Sept 1...Google Night Bison Gravel Nocturne....no pre-reg, cue sheets avail at start.
    Sweet. I'm in if I can cruise up with you. I'll throw down for gas and whatnot.