A summary of this Gravel Ride.

There were 25 Riders, 20 rode the short ride (70miles) and 5 rode the long (120miles).
I did all I could to hang with the main pack but soon figured out I wasn’t in that class of riders just yet. Those guys were burning it up, I think they were averaging somewhere around 19mph at the 25mile mark. The thrill of the race and trying to keep up with the main pack had my first 20miles 4 minutes under my fastest 20mile ride ever. I rolled in to the 40mile mark just over 3 hours and finished up 70miles @ 5:22 (11th place). The longest ride I had ever ridden prior to Sat was 50miles. The last 20 miles were a challenge. I started to cramp around mile 50 and they kept coming about every 4-5 miles. Luckily they never hit both legs at the same time. The cramps only hit while going downhill and while I wasn’t peddling so I learned real quick to not stop peddling. I did all I could to catch a pack in front of me during the last 30 miles. They had left the checkpoint at mile 40 about 5 minutes in front of me and I was able to close the distance to 3 minutes by the finish. I can’t wait to do another gravel race; there is a 55mile night race in Sept if anyone is interested in going with. I would think riding with others would help; I did most of the 70mile race solo. Overall a great ride and I learned so much about long distance riding, esp on gravel. I can’t wait for next years; I’ll do it and finish closer to the front guaranteed.
Major props to those 5 brave souls that rode the 120, the top 3 ended in a sprint to the finish with a time of 7:49.
More props to Healthy Habits and especially Greg Aronson for making this happen.
On a side note, I also managed to raise $1,000 for a friend of mine who was killed in Iraq. A scholarship in his name was created at our college so ultimately I just had to finish.