Thread: Dealing with Motorized Bikes

Default Dealing with Motorized Bikes

A pet peeve of mine that seems to have become a larger issue over the last year.

People riding motorized bikes on the local bike trails. The following areas is where I have encountered them the most.

Milan Bike Trail
    Kiwanis Moline Bike Trail
    Sylvan Island - when it was still open.
    Ben Butterworth area.

Certainly correct me if I am wrong but these trails were made for walkers, runners, and bikers. Gas powered vehicles should be driven on the road.
    I will be riding through Green Valley Conservation area trail admiring the view and then I get passed by a chain saw. Loud, smells, scares the water fowl away. (don't get me started on the ATV's and Snowmobiles that fly through that area)
    Any suggestions or opinions? I have a feeling this will become a bigger issue.
    All Right Meow!

I agree they can be very annoying. But being they are bicycles they can play in the grey areas of the law, but all the trail sets have postings no motorized vehicles. If its not posted you just have to deal with them sadly.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

I have seen them on the Illinois riverfront bike path, also, to which they are prohibited. I get them coming into the shop a lot, wanting us to fix them, and they get rude and angry when I tell them I won't touch their motorized bike (insurance liability and they're disgusting). Most are "court appointed cyclists," cannot drive, and are too lazy to ride a bike. They're extremely dangerous.

Default DUI Machines

Yes, it appears that most of them are skirting their DUI convictions.

Most of those bike paths have signs posted. I know the local police have a lot better things to do than chase down chainsaw powered bikes.

I'm curious if anyone knows if there are any rules or fines about gas powered bikes on the bike paths?
    All Right Meow!

Quote Originally Posted by MadJack View Post
    Yes, it appears that most of them are skirting their DUI convictions.

Most of those bike paths have signs posted. I know the local police have a lot better things to do than chase down chainsaw powered bikes.

I'm curious if anyone knows if there are any rules or fines about gas powered bikes on the bike paths?
    I've seen them pulled over on the streets and handed tickets, no idea about fines on the bike paths, though. It would depend on the city, I suppose.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

All you can really do is report it to the proper authorities (police, park and rec., city council). If they get enough complaints they will start doing something about it.

Iowa Moped Definition
    Illinois Moped Definition (see page 46)

I passed a guy on a moped with my road bike near Sylvan last fall. His moped wasn't very loud and it wasn't until I got within 50 feet of him that I realized it was powered by an engine. Thus solved they mystery of how an overweight guy in a flannel jacket, whom was barely pedaling, was keeping a pace over 20mph.
    Last edited by DH001; 05-28-2013 at 10:53 PM.

Board Position
    Vice President

their to lazy for bikes
    and to poor/scared of a real motorcycle
    im pretty sure you still have to have a valid drivers license to ride them and they cant be bigger then 49cc

Quote Originally Posted by bleedfororbea View Post
    their to lazy for bikes
    and to poor/scared of a real motorcycle
    im pretty sure you still have to have a valid drivers license to ride them and they cant be bigger then 49cc
    They must be 49cc or smaller to not be licensed and insured. Still need a license to drive them, I think. Apparently there's a tattoo shop opening up in Moline that's going to work on them (wtf?!). Good luck is all I have to say about that.

A motorized bike is kinda like a moped great to ride until your friends see you on it
    Get out and ride !!

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

In Iowa, the laws for engine displacement have been recently changed to include electric assisted bikes. The new criteria is listed in the links I posted before. In IL and IA mopeds are limited to a 30 mph top speed without human power. In IA, mopeds must be equipped with a 5' high safety flag.