Thread: Tire advise

Default Tire advise

Aight running kenda karma 1.9s on my marlin currently. Decent tire now that Im learning this whole tire pressure thing. I rode pavement today on the lower pressure and realized I can go a wider tire (rolling resistance change at much lower pressure wasn't noticable).

Be easy to find a tire if i only used this for trails but i also commute on it and ride paved paths up here.

Most important thing is going to be treadlife. Burning the tread down pretty quick on these karmas with as much as i ride. Well on the rear anyway. Want a tire that will last a season at least. Not sure If there are tires that will last longer but be equal to/better than Karmas in traction and rolling resistance. And preferably not insanely heavy lol.

Let me know what u guys think, is appreciate.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Best bet is a wheelset with your tire of choice for commuting, and a wheelset with your trail riding tires. Any tire that is anything other than useless on singletrack is going to wear fast on the pavement.

ya getting that feeling,lol. I was going to sell my old wheels cause i want a gopro but may have to change that and use old wheels for commuter wheelset.

Keep the old ones. A Go Pro is nice, but not as necessary as the second set of wheels.

U make a good point. Besides cassette the old wheels are gtg, be cheaper and easier than trying to buy another bike or burning through tires constantly. I just had a set of maxxis c1040n on my old 26 and they were good for both, but too I wasn't as fast on the trails as I am now so didn't really push hard enough to see how they'd hold. So figured there was something out there in the 29er dept that would work.

Thnx for the advise guys ill go that route and just save up for the gopro as i can. Riding trumps making videos hehe.

Well now them gotta decide on the trail tires. Want a bit wider than my 1.9s. Thinking maybe slant 6's or just getting karmas in The 2.2s.

All I know right now is rear tire is pretty worn so going to probably need replaced soonish since it'll be a couple weeks before I get tires for the other wheels. Still going to commute on these till then...

Any suggestions, can mix and match tires just not spending 60-70 per tire lol. Oh and no not going tubeless so that's not a concern for what I get.

Slant 6s are good. The 8s are good, too. WTB Nanos are pretty nice. Anything from Schwalbe is good, but a bit pricey. Pretty much anything 1.9-2.1/2 with short tread is a good staring point.

Does that apply to front as well? Wasn't sure by your post if ur just referring to my rear tire or not.

Both. Use a smaller one in the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    Best bet is a wheelset with your tire of choice for commuting, and a wheelset with your trail riding tires. Any tire that is anything other than useless on singletrack is going to wear fast on the pavement.
    This. I've got a set with 35mm road tires and another set for the trails. I generally ride anywhere from 6-14 miles to get to my local trails, so low rolling resistance is a priority, as is longevity. Best I've found is the WTB Bronson up front- it has a fast, ramped center tread and very aggressive side knobs for cornering. It sheds mud really well, at least for the types of soils that I encounter out here on the east coast. (The mud y'all have back home is quite sticky and I'm not sure any tire ail shed it.) It grips well over a variety of surfaces, roots, slickrock, damp clay, & sandy loam, but the side knobs can seem a little squirrelly on hardback and pavement, but it still sticks. I'm currently looking for a suitable rear: spec. captain, WTB Wolverine, Geax saguaro, Michelin Wild Racer & Conti X-King are the leading candidates. I'll probably go with the WTB Wolverine, as I can get a pretty great deal on one from promotive.com, unless my LBS has something better.
    Lance Lau

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I was looking at the xking too. After riding this weekend was pretty impressed with how karmas did in the insane mix of terrain. Probably not the fastest rolling new but rear is worn down a bit so pretty good now, only issues I had were my lack of riding skills and confidence on some technical stuff.

Still undecided but gotta figure it out soon since I slashed my rear sidewall. It's now repaired but how long that'll last....

Quote Originally Posted by Tigris99 View Post
    I was looking at the xking too. After riding this weekend was pretty impressed with how karmas did in the insane mix of terrain. Probably not the fastest rolling new but rear is worn down a bit so pretty good now, only issues I had were my lack of riding skills and confidence on some technical stuff.

Still undecided but gotta figure it out soon since I slashed my rear sidewall. It's now repaired but how long that'll last....

The XKings don't last long, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigris99 View Post
    Most important thing is going to be treadlife. Burning the tread down pretty quick on these karmas with as much as i ride. Well on the rear anyway. Want a tire that will last a season at least. Not sure If there are tires that will last longer but be equal to/better than Karmas in traction and rolling resistance. And preferably not insanely heavy lol.

Let me know what u guys think, is appreciate.

I have a Kenda Kozmik lite on my dirt jumper. it's a 26". don't know if they make 29er or what you need, but it has a ton of rubber in the middle and good cornering knobs for dirt. It looks wierd, but it's a good tire and probably will give you good life for what you want.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Thnx for the advise guys.

After riding in stl over the holiday weekend, decided I'm sticking with my karmas till my skills improve. Just 2.2 size instead. Found right tire pressure for me (44/45 rear, 38-40 front) and they handle the trails better than I can hehe.

This was partially do to having to replace rear tire due to last day cutting a sidewall. Was hoping to save up for good tires but had to replace ASAP. Got it stitched and when new tires get here will put these one old wheels for commuting use. One thing about karmas, THEIR CHEAP, LOL compared to anything else good.

Ok now I'm having an issue.... Can get slant 6 for $2 more than karmas....

Slant 6 rear karma front????

Already got 1 new karma and seems want more nobby front, am i right? Think the combo would work well for me since I'm not that fast nor take on more advanced technical yet?