Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
Best bet is a wheelset with your tire of choice for commuting, and a wheelset with your trail riding tires. Any tire that is anything other than useless on singletrack is going to wear fast on the pavement.
This. I've got a set with 35mm road tires and another set for the trails. I generally ride anywhere from 6-14 miles to get to my local trails, so low rolling resistance is a priority, as is longevity. Best I've found is the WTB Bronson up front- it has a fast, ramped center tread and very aggressive side knobs for cornering. It sheds mud really well, at least for the types of soils that I encounter out here on the east coast. (The mud y'all have back home is quite sticky and I'm not sure any tire ail shed it.) It grips well over a variety of surfaces, roots, slickrock, damp clay, & sandy loam, but the side knobs can seem a little squirrelly on hardback and pavement, but it still sticks. I'm currently looking for a suitable rear: spec. captain, WTB Wolverine, Geax saguaro, Michelin Wild Racer & Conti X-King are the leading candidates. I'll probably go with the WTB Wolverine, as I can get a pretty great deal on one from promotive.com, unless my LBS has something better.