Thread: Illiniwek trail staus

Default Illiniwek trail staus

Well, I rode out there today at noon and it was "greasy" in spots. No standing water and no areas muddy enough to leave ruts but it's needs some sun to dry it out a bit. I came across 2 downed trees, one on the South trail that needs cut (not passable on your bike) and one on the North trail (passable on your bike).

Hmmm...seems it's now "closed". Not sure who determins the closed/open status, guess I need to check here every morning.
    Last edited by Armyballer; 05-20-2013 at 03:46 PM.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

I closed the trails last night after we had significant rainfall (0.31" yesterday evening and 0.43" this morning). I use this website to check rainfall amounts:Lock and Dam #14 Weather Station. Illiniwek park rangers have final say on trail status at this point so your best bet is to call the Illiniwek office to check if they are open (309-496-2620). They have told me before that the trails will be closed for 24 hrs (or more) in the event of .25" or more of rain but I don't think the policies are finalized yet. Generally, if the trail is greasy it is a good indicator that it needs more time to dry out before riding. I am surprised that the trails were only greasy after 3/4" of rain within 24 hours.

We will get out there later in the week and take care of the trees. Were they big enough to require a chainsaw or can my 10" folding saw handle it?

Your 10" will do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Armyballer View Post
    Your 10" will do the job.
    That's what she said!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Rain fizzled out and trails are in great condition.

You guys do wonderful work. These trails are a lot of fun. Nice not to have quite so many turns.

Any chance IFP will be open this evening?

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

I'm going to try to convince them to open the trails this evening. Keep an eye on the status.

Update: Trails are open.
    Last edited by DH001; 07-10-2013 at 01:31 PM.