Thread: stolen bikes

Default stolen bikes

met a few guys from the club today. awesome, got super excited to build some trails and ride, but some one decided to jack mine and my buddies bikes. a pair of 2012 trek Marlins. a green bike with wtb tires, bb7 brakes, and race face bars with white grips. and a gray and white bike with an upgraded crank, black bottle cages and handle bar extensions. both bikes had great river brewery stickers on the bottom tube of the frames. help locate our bikes please!

Where were u when they got stolen?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

north end of davenport. creek side bar and grill

What a kick in the teeth.

That's near our houses (the guys you met at GRB) and is typically a good neighborhood and a bicycle friendly establishment. I for one, never leave my bike unlocked unattended in this town. Too easy to jump on and be gone, especially by the bike path. Feel sorry for you fellas, it was great meeting you guys and chatting it up. Hope you find the scum of the earth that took them or get them replaced quickly. Wise man say you can't put a price on a good time.

Let us know next time you're all in town and we'll ride or have sound beers and hang out. Hope you guys get involved and put in some time at the new trails in DeWitt. Sounds like it could be some badass trails and it would be awesome to see a good involvement in getting them cut in.

I got a good feeling about you guys being important in Westbrooks development.

Cheers.

-Jake 563-528-07nine nine
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Though maybe it was around dewitt area since I live up this way too I could keep an eye for them, especially being ill recognize a silver marlin, cause I have one too. I'll be sure to keep an eye out since I've been around davenport a lot lately for baby appointments and such.

Keep an eye on craiglist and what not cause half these ppl that do this crap will try unload quickly or dumb kids thinking thier cool.

I appreciate everyone looking out for our bikes. guess we will pinching pennys and saving up for new bikes.
    I gotta be more careful with my stuff I guess. usually if I cant see my bike I lock it. forgot one time..

filed a police report, the cop seemed cool enough. had a few houses he's recovered stolen things at before. gunna check them. our serial numbers are registered as stolen now to. offering cash rewards of 100 per bike for tips leading to recovering them.

I'm paranoid cause replacement of my marlin isn't an option so I carry a good cable.and lock strapped under my seat and unless its inside its locked. I live in fulton but ride to day job and stuff in Clinton. I've see ppl leave their bike outside for 2 mins unlocked and it was gone.

I get crap sometimes for being crazy about locking my bikes up, but this is why. 100 times "it's fine", but that one time... If you own a home, check with your insurance company, most insure bicycles to a certain dollar amount. If you rent and have renters insurance, I'm not sure, maybe EP can chime in on that.

I'll have to check be cool if i could get my bike insured that'd be awesome.

I will add the descriptions to the list of bikes to look out for at the shop. 'Tis the season for bike thieves. I should get a new lock that works 100% of the time, too.

When I was walking around Iowa City for the Old Capitol Crit I saw so many front wheels just locked to racks, missing the rest of the bike. It made me sad.

I don't think renters insurance is gunna cover it, and I'm not a home owner so... I'm bike shopping this week. if I get my old bike back cool. I'll have two bikes so I can bring a friend biking. in the mean time if anyone knows of any good sales or specials on bikes I'd like to hear about them! looking to spend 1000.00

anybody know of any bike sales or shops with specials? looking to spend a grand.

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

A renters or homeowners insurance policy would cover your personal property including bikes. However a deductible would apply. For most renters policy this is not an issue as deductibles are usually $500 or less. On a homeowners policy it is not uncommon to have deductibles of $1,000 to $1,500. So for bikes in the $500-$2,000 range making a claim does not always make sense. I say this because the amount your get reimbursed is not huge and the claim will count against you and possibly increase your rate over the next 3-5 years.
    One way around this is to specifically insure your bike. People often call these riders, or floaters. The upside is that there is no deductible, however it is not cheap often 8-10% of the value of your bike every year in premium. This is much more expensive than insuring jewelry or guns. The reason being is that bikes get stolen a lot.

A renters policy is cheap $15-$25 per month in addition to covering your stuff it provides personal liability. Say you or on your mountain bike at Sunderbruch flying a long having a great day. You fail to notice a family in the woods, an 8 year old walks out on the trail and you smash into her. You imagine the injuries, I can make it real scary. Lets just say a trip to the ER in an ambulance, some xrays and a broken arm, $6,000 in bills. The insurance company covers it for you!
    Or lets say you find some guys riding your stolen bikes. You approach them and accuse them of theft in front of their boss and detain them till the cops show up. Turns out they weren't your bikes or they did not honestly know they were stolen. You get sued for false arrest and slander. This slander results in the person being fired from their job, there are 35 with a big mortgage and a family of 5 to support. How much do they think they will sue you for??

Anyone feel free to call me and I can answer further questions and provide you with an insurance quote. My office number is 309-762-4173.

Eric
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

Quote Originally Posted by ew_perry View Post
    A renters or homeowners insurance policy would cover your personal property including bikes. However a deductible would apply. For most renters policy this is not an issue as deductibles are usually $500 or less. On a homeowners policy it is not uncommon to have deductibles of $1,000 to $1,500. So for bikes in the $500-$2,000 range making a claim does not always make sense. I say this because the amount your get reimbursed is not huge and the claim will count against you and possibly increase your rate over the next 3-5 years.
    One way around this is to specifically insure your bike. People often call these riders, or floaters. The upside is that there is no deductible, however it is not cheap often 8-10% of the value of your bike every year in premium. This is much more expensive than insuring jewelry or guns. The reason being is that bikes get stolen a lot.

A renters policy is cheap $15-$25 per month in addition to covering your stuff it provides personal liability. Say you or on your mountain bike at Sunderbruch flying a long having a great day. You fail to notice a family in the woods, an 8 year old walks out on the trail and you smash into her. You imagine the injuries, I can make it real scary. Lets just say a trip to the ER in an ambulance, some xrays and a broken arm, $6,000 in bills. The insurance company covers it for you!
    Or lets say you find some guys riding your stolen bikes. You approach them and accuse them of theft in front of their boss and detain them till the cops show up. Turns out they weren't your bikes or they did not honestly know they were stolen. You get sued for false arrest and slander. This slander results in the person being fired from their job, there are 35 with a big mortgage and a family of 5 to support. How much do they think they will sue you for??

Anyone feel free to call me and I can answer further questions and provide you with an insurance quote. My office number is 309-762-4173.

Eric
    Do you need a policy for every bike, or can you insure....say.....12 or 13 on the same floater?

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    Do you need a policy for every bike, or can you insure....say.....12 or 13 on the same floater?
    You don't have enough bikes.

Sorry to hear about your bike. Never leave a bike unattended, NEVER. My bike was stolen out of my garage down here in STL. It sucked bad, but luckily enough, my insurance covered a new bike after I paid a $500 deductible.

Check the local pawn shops

Though u guys got bikes replaced I still keep an eye out cause i half expect to see them on craigslist or something. Kinda hoping they do cause I'd live to see their faces if a bunch of us show up to buy the bikes... Or more take them back lol.