Thread: Current Trail Conditions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Current Trail Conditions

Are horrible.

Kings and I spent a lot of time and energy in removing/flattening/stomping ruts, removing water from the tread, de-berming, and overall a lot of playing in the muck. Lots of fun, it was. And MUCH more work needs to be done.

Sunderbruch is growing old and tired - much like Sugar Bottom in Iowa City of a few years ago. What I mean by that, roots are becoming more exposed (some like this, some don't) which greatly accelerates the rate of erosion in these areas. Also, many trails are taking on the characteristics of a bobsled track - the water runs directly *down* the trail instead of sheeting off the *side* of the trail. This creates the bobsled track trail and results in one of two things - close the trail or bust our collective a$$es to repair and rework the trail. There are so many sections where this type of work needs to be done that I can't even begin to start describing them. Proof in the pudding: take a walk down Jubilee right now. Because the trail is so young, this trail is darn near ready to ride immediately following a rain. We had to clear a few drains yesterday, but other than that, nearly the entire trail is good to go. But over time, that will change. Just know, a LOT of work needs to be done to this trail system to remain sustainable long-term.

The SBP TCC will be bringing a proposal to the board/club on what we believe will be permanent repairs for the biggest problem areas - Kickapoo Up & Down.

Speaking of Kick Up/Down, depending on the outcome of the aforementioned proposal, we will most likely decide to keep these trails closed during winter/spring. The location of these trails on the side of the north facing bluff is where all the ground water from the field at the top of the hill drains. There isn't any dirt, it's all clay. These trails will *constantly* be an issue each and every year because of this.

It is so imperative to keep users off the trails when they're too wet to sustain traffic.

More info to come...
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

I spent about 3 hours out there yesterday working on the trails. There are still several wet/muddy places. I chased off (asked politely) two mnt bikers to stay off the trails for a few more days. They claimed they didn't know they were "closed" which is understandable. Wish there was some means of posting something at the trailhead to let folks know. Anyway...I'm Brian, I'm active duty military and new to Davenport and I plan to be at next months meeting. See you on the trails!!!

Thanks for the help!

Sounds like we've got a lot of work to do at Sunder before the 14th of July!
    "I've spent half of my life riding a bike, the other half I wasted!"

Planning on riding tomorrow morning , just wondering if Kickapoo up is still closed?

Kick Up is in decent shape, it is good to go unless by chance there is precipitation overnight.

Have a good ride!
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Cool , thanks man!

Quick update:

99% of the trail system is good to go.

There is one tree down on the east side of the paved path at the Farmdale/Comlara intersection.

Otherwise, be safe and go ride!