Thread: Need help, hub issues

Default Need help, hub issues

OK you all know me or at least have seen me, BIG BOY (not 6ft tall like gigantic so hopefully he can chime in too cause he knows where im coming from hopefully) and only moving part on my Marlin thats still stock is wheels/hubs. Figured those would be fine, thats what i get for thinking.

Front obviously is fine, not much to hurt there. Rear fine till you get to freehub body....

On my second rear wheel/hub cause freehub keeps going noisy and loose. Formula dc-22 hub.

Found out why, not fixable cause its pressed together, no way to take apart. Missing 1 bearing in each end of freehub body (found this on my wlamort bike freehweel unit last season too, but easy fix cause those come apart and i could put the extra bearing in, never had 1 problem out of it still perfect right now)

Need an affordable hub.... Basically will spend what I HAVE TO but I am NOT buying a hope or CK hub. Maint dont bother me, Im big I spend 2 hrs a week now (i use this as a commuter to day job now too) on maint AT LEAST so hub will get love constantly and grease that will keep it alive just as long as if you thin ppl were riding it. With new baby due in october funds are tight so I need a for sure thing cause cant waste the funds. ALSO need one that its fairly easy and fairly inexpensive to get replacement freehub bodies should i need one before i get the rest of this weight off.

ANy help would be great on this, I have repacked with my grease so hub will survive for a while but clicking and howling at high speed is getting annoying.

Guessing high flange hub 32 holes?
    Get out and ride !!

Have you been drinking?
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Um yes I believe,

No but sure wish i was, very long day, just got home from job 2 and was half asleep.

my experience with building wheels with your own parts is, it isn't worth it unless you can assemble it yourself. I would recommend keeping an eye out for a sale on a burly all mtn wheelset. that way you know it can take the abuse you want to give it. Meilke knows a dude in CO. that build some sweet wheels. maybe he can hook you up.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Really not afraid to do it myself as long as i can get the measurements right to get right sized spokes. Lbs still has first wheel that the freehub went out on so i can get it back to use to change hub out.

My concern really is price and able to handle my weight. I wouldn't object to buying a full wheel/hub as long as price and strength was what i need. I am expecting 100-150 to get a better hub and have the wheel built if i was to pay to do it. Is there a good prelaced wheel/hub in that range? And that just rear wheel of course for that price. Could buy front to match later.

I am 250lbs and ride a Trek x-caliber. I had 3 stock hubs go out on the 2nd climb after creek crossings on LT. A $120 one on the same climb. Finally, DT Swiss 350, $500 hub and wheel last June and no problems since. I think the guys at HHs were about to chip in because they were sick of my bike.

Find a set with XT hubs. Great hubs for the price. Pretty well available anywhere. Low maintenance. And completely replaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by jJohnson View Post
    Find a set with XT hubs. Great hubs for the price. Pretty well available anywhere. Low maintenance. And completely replaceable.
    +1

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Ok well I was looking in the right direction m529 or xt for shimano or x7 for sram. Any type of wheel I should look at. My stock wheels are nice for me and tough (bontrager AT-650) so what's an equal for strength?

Ok got a fix thnx to the direction to dig around in. Alex dp20 wheels with m529 slx hubs. In my price range per wheel and reveiwed by a couple ppl heavier than me and they hold up for what I ride. Temp fix of course till I can save up for a good wheelset.