Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sylvan Island Closing

Board Position
    Vice President

yea what drew said! if we as forc "technicaly are allowed to build and maintain trails at sylvan"
    we should be allowed to build a "trail/bridge" to the island!

Wouldnt be hard to make one out of old boat docks, BUT that would probably make FORC liable plus boats need access still. How many empty PBR cans would we need to make a ferry?

Need one of those rope boat contraptions. The ones that you sit on a platform and use the rope to pull you and the platform across the waterway.

Quote Originally Posted by jJohnson View Post
    Need one of those rope boat contraptions. The ones that you sit on a platform and use the rope to pull you and the platform across the waterway.
    They call that a ferry!
    "I've spent half of my life riding a bike, the other half I wasted!"

I think Ray is drawing up a new and improved pump track / berm bridge combo with his notes from the one at sunder.
    "Coach says I've got the heart of a champion and legs of a spectator"

And rig up the pulley system with an old bike so you pedal your way across! Seems 100% reasonable lol

Oh a serious note I do have a 16' flat bottom with a 35hp for when we want to get on the island for group rides or if we are going to do maintenance until it opened up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Illiniwek View Post
    They call that a ferry!
    Oh my... I thought it would be called something totally different.

We could always ford the river Oregon Trail-style.

Fear not!!! As the trail steward I vow to sit back and watch everyone else bust their butts to get us a new bridge. Taming? Is Sunderbruch too far inland? Maybe we could swim laps at Scott County Park's pool, run the camp ground, and then do a lap of the whole park? Good thing we didn't dump money on a new kiosk.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

I just sent this message via Facebook to Hansi Johnson at IMBA:

Hi Hansi,

I am the current web director of FORC in the Quad Cities. We are facing a problem that I thought you might be able to help with. The City of Moline, IL has inspected the only bridge to Sylvan Island, where we hold the Sylvan Island Stampede annually, and deemed it unsafe. They are closing the island indefinably because the bridge is unlikely of being repaired or replaced due to budget concerns. The island is a popular destination used by many people from all over the Quad City Area for hiking, biking a fishing all year round. Would you have any advise for FORC in trying to fix this?

My friend and fellow FORCer Becky has contacted the city on this issue, and has reached out to local businesses and non-profit organizations to see if they can help or have connections of anyone who might be able to.

Thanks,
    Jordan C. Hanson

Angry D-Day is Monday

Folks,
    I spoke with a Mike Waldren tonight. He's the director of public works for Moline. He told me the Fence will be put up Monday. So this weekend will be the last opportunity to ride Sylvan with out the aid of a ferry, helicopter, hovercraft etc.. This sucks. I rode tonight and it was actually depressing.

Andy

Maybe the cat could help out

Get out and ride !!

Crying in my beer...

I rode today also and it is sad because its a pretty good place to practice!

The island is still open, but you will only be able access it by boat. Here is the link for the article from the news.
    http://www.qconline.com/archives/qco....php?id=635824

Default We can find a solution that works to keep the island open.

My 11 year old raced the Stampede this year which was my first experience with FORC. I am impressed with all that you have done on the island. I have experience with other projects that may help find a way to keep the Island open. Not having a lot of information, I can certainly understand why the bridge could close abruptly. Let's not loose sight of all that the city has contributed to Sylvan along the way as well.

Please let me know how I can help keep the island open. I can see some ways that it could work without massive expense.

Short notice: There is a Moline Park Board meeting TODAY at 3:30. I plan to take some vacation time and attend the meeting. The City is doing what they feel they must to ensure the community's safety (and minimize liability) as much as I hate to say it. There was no warning when the bridge collapsed over the Mississippi in Minneapolis resulting in loss of life. Smaller scale at Sylvan Island, but they KNOW there are issues with the bridge and they don't want to see anyone hurt nor do they want to get sued. I wish they would have done some planning when they became aware of the problem. Hind sight is 20/20.

At this point, we need to get the point across, diplomatically, to the City of Moline that SYLVAN ISLAND IS IMPORTANT. The meeting today is at the Public Works Building Conference Room, 3635 - 4th Avenue, Moline, IL. If you can make it, please do. Sorry about the short notice, but this whole deal has been about short notice. We need to mobilize and work as a large group. Voice are better heard when en masse.
    I wanna ride!

I'm planning to attend the meeting as well. Will try to bring some more peeps with me.

"ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Get out and ride !!

Illinois Slowriders will do anything we can to help. We can organize cruises to raise money, hold raffles for bicycles...whatever it takes. We are located on 3rd street right on top of the hill and Sylvan Island is our backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisSlowriders View Post
    Illinois Slowriders will do anything we can to help. We can organize cruises to raise money, hold raffles for bicycles...whatever it takes. We are located on 3rd street right on top of the hill and Sylvan Island is our backyard.

There is now a Facebook group for further discussion on this topic if you're so inclined to visit there for more information. Please visit "Sylvan Island Dreamers" on Facebook.
    I wanna ride!

Thanks Bexter. Will do.

An article following today's Park Board meeting:
    http://m.qconline.com/qconline/pm_10...tguid=8DG63tQi
    I wanna ride!