Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FORC'en Memorial weekend trip to Levis Trow Mounds

Board Position
    President

Default FORC'en Memorial weekend trip to Levis Trow Mounds

It's hard to believe but this trip is a month away. I'm pretty sure there's still snow on the ground and the trails are closed but anyway. The plan is to leave Saturday the May 25th and head back home Monday. Plan on camping at the trail head. There is flush toilets and drinking water there. There are showers a couple miles down the road that eats quarters but worth it. Cost of camping is cheap $7 and I believe there is a trail pass of $5 a day. It's all done on the honor system. Stuff some cash in the tube and your good. One year it was over stuffed. Rangers asked no questions.
    The drive will take about 4.5hrs but well worth it. Post up if you're planning on going, driving, looking for a ride or have room for a fellow FORC'er.

Last but not least pray for warm dry weather!
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

Vonda and I are planning to go. Not sure what our driving arrangements are yet. We'll be in touch.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

I'm in. I've never been to Levis and am definitely looking forward riding there from what others have said about it. Not sure if driving or carpooling at this point.

We think we are going to Cuyuna for the long weekend but after seeing your post, we Mapquested Cuyuna to Levis. It's 4 hours. Maybe we'll swing by Levis for part of a day on the way home.
    I wanna ride!

Wish I could, but i have to head to Ohio that weekend for my sister's graudation party.

Board Position
    President

Things are looking up. Trails are open at Levis as of today!

Stupid road bike racing is going to keep me from riding mountain bikes and getting drunk on Memorial Day weekend.

I'll be partaking in this fine adventure.

A couple of us are thinking about heading up Friday afternoon and home on Sunday evening. May have room for one more.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

Anna & I are planning to attend. We will be heading up early Friday morning and leaving Sunday for a graduation party.
    Saturday we plan to go canoeing. Is anyone else interested in that type of activity? We have done one river up( East Fork Black River) there that was beautiful but buggy and rocky. There is another part (Upper black River)I am considering that would have a couple sets of Class II rapids. Or could do another part that would be more of a sandbar type river(lower Black River) good for any skill(or no skill) level. All these would be within 45 minutes of the trail head.
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

Board Position
    President

They have updated most of the info on the camp ground and trails. Good news is they have added some new trail. Bad news is they upped the camping to $13 a night. I think it's just due to the awesomeness of the place.

$13!?! I'm out.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Board Position
    President

We are a little over a week away from this trip. I do have room for 1 more person in the van if anyone needs a ride. I will also have to take my trailer so there will be plenty of room for bikes and gear if some of you need extra space. My plan is to leave by 8:00 am Saturday morning and return by Monday afternoon. Looking forward to returning to Levis!

It looks like I have the chance to make this trip after all, would love to fill that spot for ya AG, if you don't mind?

Board Position
    President

Sweet! It's yours.

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

As I mentioned before Anna & I plan to do some paddling. They Black River there is very beautiful. A trip of anywhere from 4-8 hours on the river can be put together. Can also be from simple and fast water and class I Rapids to Class II-III. We have a spot held with Hatfield Sports Shop for Saturday Morning at 9am. Will decide next week based on outfitters suggestion which portion of the river will best meet our skill level, or the groups if anyone else interested. If left to our own(mine) choices would probably go with solid to strong Class II and about 5 hours on the water.
    However if there is strong interest from new paddlers we can just find some basic water and float down the river with a cooler of beer.

Price should be about $45-$60 per canoe.
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

I'll be up around Shawano running the Wolf River and riding Nicolet Rochet. Has anybody ever done NR? Make sure to check the flows on the Black. Surprisingly, it looks like it's currently too low to paddle (for any whitewater anyway).

The Wolf has a few class I-II sections and is close to the Black. American Whitewater has current flows and gauge locations:

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/co...mary/state/WI/
    Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome.

Chris and I are in.

Were in...heading up Friday morning! Bringing the YAK's and the Corbin Condo!

Stoked for Levis tomorrow!!

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Raining in the QC so Meilke and I day tripped up to Levis (we were feeling left out).

This was incredible- 4 hour drive up, about 27 miles of sweet riding with fast doods, and 4 hours back. Exhausted- and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Great seeing Camber, Pamba and many of the other peeps I only know from meeting them by accident 10 times a year at trails all over the Midwest- but ESPECIALLY seeing all you forcers again!

This is exactly what I needed to get my biking passion back where it is supposed to be!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Well that didn't suck.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Board Position
    President

Again a great trip. Thanks to every one who made the trip this year. Seen many new faces and many that I haven't seen in awhile. For me it was a difffernt trip than I use to but I've gotta say one of the best. Having Ella there with me on the trails was priceless.

Thanks again, you all make organizing this trip worth it. Until next time...

It was great! I appreciate all the effort that everyone put in.. it was quite the learning experience for me, and I'll be sure to be better prepared for the next FORC camping trip! The trails were amazing, and the weather was good enough. Levis was a whole new kind of challenge to me, and raised my own personal goals and expectations; and it was all possible because of FORC. Thank you all again, and I'll see you on the trails!

Now those were some kick ass trails! Exceeded my expectations and they were pretty high to begin with. Flying down some of those fast, flowy, switchbacky trails was so much fun. Lucy's Loop, Sidewinder, Hermosas... I loved them all. I'll be back there before the year is over, you can bet on that. This trip on this weekend will be marked on my calendar every year I am able.

Thanks for everyone coming up and camping and making it a great time. Glad no one got hurt, weather was great and the trails left me speechless.

nicest thing about the trip? returning home without surgery and a cast! ;-)
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."