Thread: Bar Ends at SIS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I have to admit, I was pretty frustrated when I heard about this "rule" being enforced. 50% of my frustration was for those racers that were pulled and had to deal with the stress and drama, and 50% of it was because I'm one of those riders that toss the end caps from my grips in the trash. I think they're useless, and eventually fall out or fall apart anyway. Thanks to Huck for hooking me up with a set of plugs right before the start!

This was just posted to the IMBCS Facebook Group. A local USAC official (I think please dont quote me but I'm 99% sure he is) just said:

Bar Ends Update: From the Technical Director of USA Cycling. “The official was correct in his interpretation of the printed rules. The intent of that rule was always a road thing and as we have combined all disciplines into one rulebook now, we find certain places where it does not work, and we fix it as we find it.” Bar ends are allowed in MTB events.

The USAC official was technically correct to ban bar ends (based on the combined rulebook) but this is now clarified and bar ends are legal and allowed in MTB races.