Thread: Proper psi for FAT Bike racing?

Default Proper psi for FAT Bike racing?

I'm perplexed. When I run high psi on my fat bike, I'm (relatively) speedy through straightaways and can pick up speed quickly; however, in the technical, rooty, rocky stuff I bounce around like a Plinko chip.

When I run lower psi, my bike gobbles up the technical stuff but it feels like I'm dragging a dead body whenever I lose momentum or I hit the straightaways.

From those of you who have raced fat bikes before, what have you found to be the more beneficial option (specifically considering the Stampede)? I know the standard answer might be to try it several ways and dial it in to a happy medium...I just don't have time to figure it out b/t now and Sunday, so I'm looking for the short cut here.

As an aside, remote lockouts have been invented...Why not remote tire inflator/deflators? That would be freakin' useful!
    Dirt Don't Hurt

I ran about 10.5psi at last year's race, using the same tire combo you have. It seemed to be a good happy-medium for me at the time.

Board Position
    Vice President

i usualy run 30psi but i dont weight that much =) i have nitrogen here at work if u wanna stop by we can fill your tires with it and youl nock at least 5 seconds off your lap time

Thanks Zach. That's extraordinarily unhelpful. :)
    Dirt Don't Hurt

Try to find a fatbike with a lefty that is unattended Sunday morning - maybe distract the owner with a beer - now you have a lefty for the price of a beer and you're all set.
    "Coach says I've got the heart of a champion and legs of a spectator"

I'd say about the same as Steve, I think I may go a little less, maybe 9-10 at Sylvan. Maybe 9.728. Yep, that's the ticket.

May be a game time decision with all this weather we're having.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

Just stuff 'em full of marshmallows and roll with it! Gotta use Stay-puft or else it won't work, or so I've read on MTBR...
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

Amazed at all pisspoor advice on topic. You asked to dial in happy medium -- go 3.2 psi front, 41 psi rear best of both worlds. Satisfaction Guaruhhhnnnnnteed.

Quote Originally Posted by Guldy View Post
    Amazed at all pisspoor advice on topic. You asked to dial in happy medium -- go 3.2 psi front, 41 psi rear best of both worlds. Satisfaction Guaruhhhnnnnnteed.
    I take it back, I like Guldy's advice.

Ultimate Braaaaap!
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Just fill them full of Stans...you will be able to run the lowest PSI possible and will never get a flat.

I think roadies run like 120 psi so they are faster and have less rolling resistance . I would go a step further and fill them with helium like a blimp to at least 150psi. That way you will be fast and light ....

Assuming you're running stock meat (Larry / Endo) For normal Beverly Park conditions, I find 10 psi to be just about right. Grip it and rip it superman.

I found this to be very helpful:

http://g-tedproductions.blogspot.com...-answered.html

great discussion on tire pressure

150 pounds of helium. Brilliant!! Thanks for the suggestions (almost) All! Appreciate it!
    Dirt Don't Hurt

I have to admit, I'm a little ashamed of myself for giving a serious answer.

I'm not .......

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

I was runing about 15 in the rear and when the tire blew it sounded like someone let go of a balloon without tying it off. I'm just glad it didn't fly all over the woods when it did it. I'm thinking the guy in the blog is pretty on- 10 lbs is plenty.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Damn. I gave up on this thread. Didn't realize it still had legs. Guldy, your advice, as always, is impeccable. Your judgment, on the other hand, is suspect at best - particularly, when coupled with my less-than-wise fat biking antics.

Together, we are a bit of a train wreck...And I love it!

Tubes full of Stan's works great. 10.5 psi truly was pretty much the perfect amount for the race. Thanks you bunch of monkeys.
    Dirt Don't Hurt