Thread: Need opinions on 2 x 10 set up

Default Need opinions on 2 x 10 set up

ok ive been digging and digging but dont have access to a shimano equipped MTB to know for sure.

Converting the 29er to 2x10, right now its 2x8, have FD already cause I found X9 2x10 fd stupid cheap brand new. Works great imo (which my opinion dont count for much yet being I dont know anything different) with shifter locked out for 2-3 use only.

Have X4 on now, and my issue with it is cant get shifter in a good posistion where I dont feel like im hyper-extending my thumb to upshift and still be able to reach trigger without rolling my wrist. But like how the system shifts (srams hard shifting thing is kinda nice, I like KNOWING I changed gears). So that option would be X7 2x10 set up shifters and rd, $110ish. After getting a solid hour long ride in today shifters are not my favorite.

Shimano option is SLX Shadow, shifters cost $30-40 more, found RD for $50-60 (non clutch). Tried Alivio shifter feel on bike at LBS LIKE IT ALOT MORE, way more comfortable having index trigger. And liek the shadow idea since I seem to find any tree too close with my bike or my head lol. But some say shimano is more finicky. Which I know the altus rd and cheap combo shift/brake levers I have on the 26 I adjust for the RD or RD itself at least once each trip to the trails sometimes 2-3 times in a day, but that could be cheap parts, its a walmart bike afterall (yes IM KEEPING IT HEHE, love that $200 fs bike )

So rather hear opinions from people I KNOW AND RIDE WITH. My concern isnt weight or fanciness, its reliablity/durability and not having to mess with constantly. Really stern on first 2 cause I already had to have the rear freehub (with wheel being thats how trek does it) warrantied cause i killed the bearings in it.... guessing doing for 50miles on a brand new bike in snow and water puddles etc wasnt a nice thing to do to it espeically when I still weigh 280lbs)

Hope this finds riders of both sides since slx is the same-ish as XT just heavier and shifters arent as nice.

Thnx
    Last edited by Tigris99; 03-24-2013 at 02:40 AM.

I like Shimano. I think SLX is worth the extra money over X7. I think Shimano is easier to set up, except there is no adjustment barrel at the R/D anymore. No big deal, really.

Trek uses a freewheel on the model you bought and not a cassette? Or did you mean you blew the freehub body? If it is a freewheel and not a cassette, you'll need a new rear wheel to go 10sp.

Any specific reason why you want to go 2x10? At 280lbs, your first upgrade should be a super solid set of wheels, IMO.

Tigris, Im having a hard time following this. As I read it, you are considering spending over $100 on a $200 bike with a bad rear hub to pick up 4 more gears...

I'd say, don't tinker with it. Save your money up and buy a new bike eventually. Once you get about $500 saved up, subscribe to the buy/sell thread so you get an email every time someone posts or just post up what you are lookin for. It's common to find a $1500 bike that's not that old that someone will be willing to "donate" to a pal for what amounts to a couple months worth of beer money.

Good luck! (If I got it wrong, please clarify.)
    Dirt Don't Hurt

as long as your freehub body will accept a 10 speed cassette, setup of the system should be pretty straight forward. the only real factor sounds like your personal preference to the feel of the shifting performance between SRAM and Shimano.

it appears to me as though you may want to do some adjusting concerning the orientation of your shifters and/or brake levers. you shouldn't be forced to move your wrist as dramatically as you described to perform a shift, regardless if your shifters are SRAM or Shimano. take a look and make sure first that, while in riding position, you can reach for and pull your brake levers without changing the angle of your wrists - you should be able to simply reach 1 or 2 fingers out for the lever and pull without any movement at the wrist. once you have that dialed, position the shifter pods so you can perform a shift with your thumbs, and if you choose Shimano, your fingers as well, and make sure the position is such that your wrist doesn't move.

not only will ^^^ this procedure make things easier in the cockpit for you but you'll likely notice riding becomes more comfortable.

and, as Dirt has indicated, while upgrading your drivetrain is always a good time - it's not always the best place to sink money into. you already have a 2x system - going to a 2x10 doesn't gain you much at all, really - you've gotta buy a new RD, a cassette, and a chain...and, you may want to consider a bashguard.

in my mind, save your $ and put it towards a durable and reliable wheelset as jjohnson suggested, or save your pennies for a new bike altogether.
    Last edited by jimithng23; 03-24-2013 at 08:39 AM.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

I dont know what kind of bike you are looking for, but I have a large Kona FS 2x10 for sale, complete bike
    Its the 3rd one down on this page:
    http://www.qcforc.org/showthread.php...bikes-for-sale

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Tigris, Im having a hard time following this. As I read it, you are considering spending over $100 on a $200 bike with a bad rear hub to pick up 4 more gears...

I'd say, don't tinker with it. Save your money up and buy a new bike eventually. Once you get about $500 saved up, subscribe to the buy/sell thread so you get an email every time someone posts or just post up what you are lookin for. It's common to find a $1500 bike that's not that old that someone will be willing to "donate" to a pal for what amounts to a couple months worth of beer money.

Good luck! (If I got it wrong, please clarify.)
    I think he's talking about his Trek that he recently purchased. He mentioned the Walmart bike, though, and that threw me for a loop.

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    as long as your freehub body will accept a 10 speed cassette, setup of the system should be pretty straight forward. the only real factor sounds like your personal preference to the feel of the shifting performance between SRAM and Shimano.

it appears to me as though you may want to do some adjusting concerning the orientation of your shifters and/or brake levers. you shouldn't be forced to move your wrist as dramatically as you described to perform a shift, regardless if your shifters are SRAM or Shimano. take a look and make sure first that, while in riding position, you can reach for and pull your brake levers without changing the angle of your wrists - you should be able to simply reach 1 or 2 fingers out for the lever and pull without any movement at the wrist. once you have that dialed, position the shifter pods so you can perform a shift with your thumbs, and if you choose Shimano, your fingers as well, and make sure the position is such that your wrist doesn't move.

not only will ^^^ this procedure make things easier in the cockpit for you but you'll likely notice riding becomes more comfortable.

and, as Dirt has indicated, while upgrading your drivetrain is always a good time - it's not always the best place to sink money into. you already have a 2x system - going to a 2x10 doesn't gain you much at all, really - you've gotta buy a new RD, a cassette, and a chain...and, you may want to consider a bashguard.

in my mind, save your $ and put it towards a durable and reliable wheelset as jjohnson suggested, or save your pennies for a new bike altogether.
    Solid advice, but he doesn't have a 2x system, just the 2x10 front derailleur that he found for cheap and he installed (that's what I gather, anyways). I think he bought a Trek Marlin (description fits the bill). So he would need a 2x10 crank to top it off, too. The 10sp chain won't interface too well with the Altus crank already installed.

He said he's currently running a 2x8 setup.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Sorry was typing that pretty late. It's my trek marlin that I'm talking about. And no way I'm trading it off for something else LOL. It's almost done now LOL

Oh and its freehub cassette sorry.

The brake lever setup is all good there. It's just my thumbs don't like bending back that far. I've messed with them several times in and its just the upshift lever comes back too far.

Oh and I do have a bash, current is 22/32/bash shimano deore m590 hollowtech crankset.I figured now its not best place to spend but really I have been changing everything, crankset, brakes, stem/bars, tires, forks. Wheelset on it seems good just hubs are crap. Wheelset or just hub change is next up. But right now I'm going after making everything cockpit wise perfectly comfortable and 2x10 seems they way to go. Everything I have changed thus far, the stock parts had a new home (the 26). I rather enjoy tinkering and such so i save up and buy decent parts for the trek and move the parts I can from the Trek to the 26".

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    He said he's currently running a 2x8 setup.
    Righty-o. I missed that part and assumed he still had the OE crank and locked out the derailleur on a triple crankset.

ok well hopefully Im good with shimano cause for giggles yesturday i put a max bid of $35 on an new take off SLX derailleur and by some odd chance won it for $34.05 shipped... never win bids on ebay someone always goes one higher (gets annoying sometimes) but this time no one did.

Hub does support 10 speed, same hub used on a couple other trek bikes that have 10 speed stock. Thanks for pointing that out, would have been bad if I got all the stuff and doesnt fit hehe.

Heres the pic of the crank (took it just after putting bash on)

Oh and deraileur is high cause I got one for 36T cause will be going up to 24/36 soonish (once body is fully back in the groove of riding all the time with the extra weight of rack and everything)

Now I'm tastin' what you're smellin'.
    Dirt Don't Hurt

SLX is a solid r/d. You'll be happy with it. Great price.

OK RD will be here in the morning, ended up getting a FD take off with 2 rides on it cheap (decided to do the drive line except crankset and cassette SLX completely, well see how I like the FD). Cassette will be here next week too and picking up shifters when I get paid next (week and a half) cause rent due next week :( (freaking new 2/3x10 switch on shifters are $100....)

Have to be done tinkering with this for a while (nothing left I wanna change anyways), just got first ultrasound yesturday have a very healthy and active 10.5 week old baby on the way!!! Due right around when FORC Fest is planned, mid October! So next purchase will be a trailer for next year hehe.