Thread: Current Trail Conditions

Default Current Trail Conditions

Went out to the park today to get a "State of Affairs" and, as if anyone expected any different, the trails are nowhere near ready to ride. Mother Nature isn't showing any indications she's willing to help either.

Freeze/thaw + lots of ice on the trail = closed.

Bummer. 'Specially with the Stompin Grounds under water, it looks like its the road, bike path, and gravels. UGH.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

That's the nature of mountain biking, though. Patience and an open schedule are key.

Any change for the better out there yet? Would an early morning ride be do-able?

This weather will definitely help get it there. I think riding right now is gonna do more damage than good though.
    Experiencing the world through second hand information isn’t enough. If we want authenticity we have to initiate it. We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

highly unlikely at this point.

what we need is the temps to stay above freezing, lots of sunlight, and plenty of wind.

It would probably be pretty good to ride by Saturday afternoon, right about the time the rain is supposed to start.

Awesome.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

I would be wonderfully surprised if the trails were ready to ride by Saturday afternoon...which would be awesome come Sunday afternoon (as long as there's no rain).....

Doh. I was thinking this was a Sylvan thread.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

bumping this thread to the top...

we're entering into the obligatory SPRING FREEZE/THAW cycle which means we all need to stay off the trails while they thaw out. Riding now, while the temps are getting very comfortable, will create more damage than FORC has ready and willing manpower to repair.

so...please abide by the trail closure status on the homepage and if you happen to see/know of people riding the trails, educate them on why using the trails during this time of the year is detrimental to everyone involved.

thank you.

Anyone been out to Sunderbruch (or any of the trail systems) lately to see how they are looking? Obviously they are not ready to ride, but I was wondering how soon we will be able to get out and do some trail work? I would imagine that we could speed up the drying process with some earthwork/deberming in the poorly drained areas.

I got a fever, and the only prescription is more dirt!!

I plan on a scout mission Friday afternoon

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

I checked IFP and there are numerous sections of trail that are the consistency of pudding. It is probably going to be a few more weeks until things dry out enough to even walk on the trails.

My scout mission has multiple objectives

;-)

Trails soaked up and handle the rain very well. Trails were good. A little slick in spots on Kettle.
    Experiencing the world through second hand information isn’t enough. If we want authenticity we have to initiate it. We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

Good to hear.

Kettle is in need of the de-berming treatment all the other trails received in the last couple of years.