Alright guys and gals…I’m getting sent to Baton Rouge, Louisiana for a couple months for work. I will be taking a couple bikes with me (naturally) and I plan to use this thread as a blog/documentary for my rides and races down in Cajunland. If anyone has any riding experience or riding buddies in that area, let me know as I will be riding solo.

I leave home (Muscatine, IA) this Saturday, March 16 early in the morning to make the 900+ mile journey to the Red Stick. Le Baton Rouge is French for The Red Stick…that’s what Wikipedia says anyways. After being confined to riding on the city streets, gravel roads, and occasionally the snowy trail on my old 26er hardtail, needless to say I am very excited to get my Giant Anthem 29er out on some dirt trails! I found out about this trip a couple weeks ago and instantly began researching the trails in Baton Rouge (BRAMBA.org) and the surrounding region (LOCOmtb.com), as well as the Louisiana XC Mountain Bike Series (LAXCseries.com).

After checking out the series website, my reaction went something like this: “HOLY COW!! The first race is my first day down there! ….Uh oh, this isn’t going to be good….” Even though I have been riding fairly consistently all winter, I am not in race shape yet…especially considering that I am making the jump from Cat 3 to Cat 2 this year, plus not riding dirt singletrack in over 3 months. So here I am…three days from departure, and four days out from the first race; my bikes are tuned up and I am ready to rip some Cajun singletrack for a couple months!

I will try to update this thread once or twice a week, depending on how much riding I am doing and what new trails and/or people I find. For all you Strava folks out there, you can check out my rides at “http://www.strava.com/athletes/vittetoe761” Hopefully you all enjoy following along!

-Michael