Thread: Let's Talk Rims...

Default Let's Talk Rims...

I'm looking at rims for my 27.5" build and was curious if anyone has had experience with Velocity P35 or Blunt (SL)'s in 26" or 29"? I already have a pair of Pacenti CL25's that I'm going to lace to White Industries MI6 hubs; however, they're so light that I'm afraid I'm going to screw them up so I want a pair of wheels for every day use and use the Pacentis as race day wheels or I may just sell the Pacentis. I'm also curious about Stan's Crest or Flows, I know they're pretty popular for 29ers. Anyone know what the Crest Medalists are?

I'll be lacing these up to SLX or XT hubs, I think, for budget's sake. I know I'm probably the one of the first in the club to run 27.5/650b, but figured if anyone's had experience with these in 29" it'll transfer to 27.5" pretty well.

I know the Pacentis are manufactured by Velocity and that Kirk Pacenti designed the P35. I'm open to other suggestions, too. DT Swiss? WTB? I don't spend much time on the forums, because I always tend to catch an attitude from know-it-alls when I post. Lol.

I have a set of 29" Flows and a set of Arches in 26" & 29". This'll be the 4th season for the Flows; they've seen the most use by far and I've had no issues with any of 'em...the 26" Arches haven't seen much use at all since they're on the wife's bike.

The Flows have been bombproof for me. I've ridden that set all over the country - Moab, Colorado, Kansas City, Wisconsin - and they're as true as the day I got 'em. A lot of that is a testament to the quality and craftsmanship of the wheel builder, but credit should also be given to the components. The same guy built the Arch/Hope set - this wheel set sees use primarily on my Niner for racing and general trail riding throughout the dry season and, like the Flows, they have been great for me. This year will be the 3rd season for this set and they're still as true as the day I unboxed 'em. The Arches feel "livelier" (?) and are definitely faster but I wouldn't punish them the same as I would the Flows. Definitely a different feel between the 2 sets.

I can't comment on any experience with the P35s but I do know they have a great reputation for durability and reliability.

I can comment on WTB. I replaced a set of LaserDisc29 w/LaserLite hubs with the Flows/Hope hubs combo. The WTB set was silly flexy. I couldn't stand it. From what I've read lately, they've come along way with their new stuff. Personally, I will stay away from WTB wheelsets based on my prior experience.

As far as hubs go, if you're looking for alternatives to the SLX and XTs, take a look at the the DT Swiss 350. They're made with the same internals as the highly regarded and much more expensive 240 hub, but with slightly heavier and less expensive materials. If you can find a good deal on the 350s, you can't go wrong.

You building the wheels yourself?
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Had a set of Stan's ZTR Crest 26" Stock Wheelset on my last race bike. Used them for year. They got lots of miles on them and lots of rough descending here in CO, yet never had to true them once. Bought a set of Stan's ZTR Crest 29" Stock Wheelset for my new race bike. Only a couple of rides on them, but I already love them as much as my 26" version. For the price/weight ratio you just can't bought Stan's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    I have a set of 29" Flows and a set of Arches in 26" & 29". This'll be the 4th season for the Flows; they've seen the most use by far and I've had no issues with any of 'em...the 26" Arches haven't seen much use at all since they're on the wife's bike.

The Flows have been bombproof for me. I've ridden that set all over the country - Moab, Colorado, Kansas City, Wisconsin - and they're as true as the day I got 'em. A lot of that is a testament to the quality and craftsmanship of the wheel builder, but credit should also be given to the components. The same guy built the Arch/Hope set - this wheel set sees use primarily on my Niner for racing and general trail riding throughout the dry season and, like the Flows, they have been great for me. This year will be the 3rd season for this set and they're still as true as the day I unboxed 'em. The Arches feel "livelier" (?) and are definitely faster but I wouldn't punish them the same as I would the Flows. Definitely a different feel between the 2 sets.

I can't comment on any experience with the P35s but I do know they have a great reputation for durability and reliability.

I can comment on WTB. I replaced a set of LaserDisc29 w/LaserLite hubs with the Flows/Hope hubs combo. The WTB set was silly flexy. I couldn't stand it. From what I've read lately, they've come along way with their new stuff. Personally, I will stay away from WTB wheelsets based on my prior experience.

As far as hubs go, if you're looking for alternatives to the SLX and XTs, take a look at the the DT Swiss 350. They're made with the same internals as the highly regarded and much more expensive 240 hub, but with slightly heavier and less expensive materials. If you can find a good deal on the 350s, you can't go wrong.

You building the wheels yourself?
    Now that I'm at the computer, I don't see that I can order the Crest or Arches in 27.5" yet, just Flows. Might be available from a distributor I'm not looking at, though.

The Flows sound like what I should go with and they're a little cheaper than the P35's, which were my top choice. I have 26" WTB FX28's on it right now. I unlaced and rebuilt the front one almost right away and it's stayed true, but the rear one I never touched and I've had to true it a lot.

The DT 350's looks like excellent alternatives, I guess I never really looked into the 350's after seeing the price of the 240's. I'm really not happy with my XT rear hub because the cones won't stay tightened and I've had the same discussion with the Jamis rep about it.

As with the race wheels, I'll be building them myself. If other people trust me to build their wheels, then I should probably build my own, too. Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie View Post
    Had a set of Stan's ZTR Crest 26" Stock Wheelset on my last race bike. Used them for year. They got lots of miles on them and lots of rough descending here in CO, yet never had to true them once. Bought a set of Stan's ZTR Crest 29" Stock Wheelset for my new race bike. Only a couple of rides on them, but I already love them as much as my 26" version. For the price/weight ratio you just can't bought Stan's.
    That's reassuring. I've heard really good things about Stan's rims from fellow racers.

I have a set of Handspun WTB lasers w XT hubs- they've been great on my 29er so far and have held up better to the abuse I give them than the stockers did. At the very least, they're a good value.
    Lance Lau

Quote Originally Posted by gigantic View Post
    I have a set of Handspun WTB lasers w XT hubs- they've been great on my 29er so far and have held up better to the abuse I give them than the stockers did. At the very least, they're a good value.
    The price of the LazerDiscs are very, very tempting. The rim profile looks pretty strong, too.

Anyone have experience with SunRingle Infernos? They're half the price of Flows.

I just realized that I can easily re-use my XT hubs if I don't plan on using the 26" wheels on my single speed.

I'm a super-clyde and they've stood up to the abuse I've given them.
    Lance Lau

Quote Originally Posted by gigantic View Post
    I'm a super-clyde and they've stood up to the abuse I've given them.
    I was about 225# going into the winter. I'd venture to guess the holidays put me above 240# again. That's why I'm worried about the Pacenti rims. I crash a lot, too. A lot. I guess I'll see how much money I have left after I'm done.

I'm 255 & I don't tiptoe around the trails. Plus the trails here around Philly are super rocky, rooty and rough. If they were weak, they wouldn't last long.
    I got mine when I trashed the rims on my 29er and Specialized agreed to warranty them and upgrade to their next higher level, except they were out of stock. Instead, I got a credit for $300 & my LBS got these for me.
    Lance Lau

I've got a set of Flow 29er wheels built by Huck at HH. I love em. My wife has the Blunt SL rims. Might be a little too soft of an alloy for your application as they seem to dent easily. Very light though!

Blunt SLs do look a little soft

Get out and ride !!

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

What about the regular Blunt from Velocity?
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkn1 View Post
    What about the regular Blunt from Velocity?
    They are, that's why I had SL in parenthesis. Sounds like I have plenty of good options.