Thread: Race Training

Default Race Training

Race season is coming up fast. Want to get in shape? I plan on starting my routine in a couple weeks. I'm going to try to set a weekly day and time, and ride whatever park. If anyone wants to join me, keep an eye on this thread. I'll update it as needed. If you have a time that you prefer, let's hear it. The plan is to choose one night a week to ride balls out as long as I can. Obviously that will change as the season progresses. So if you're interested, start early so you have a better chance of keeping up. This will not be a typical group ride setting. If you get left behind, too bad, see you at the end. Of course there will be beer at the end...
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

I'm in. I'd prefer it to not be on a Friday or Saturday if possible. Working retail I'm pretty much required to work those days/evenings.
    Experiencing the world through second hand information isn’t enough. If we want authenticity we have to initiate it. We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

I can do whatever day, but I'm pretty much restricted to riding Sylvan or Illiniwek since I no longer drive. I definitely need to step my game up.

Training!? If you're that serious, could get a plan: http://lwcoaching.com/?page_id=303.

Quote Originally Posted by Russhole View Post
    "ride balls out as long as I can"
    May want a little more structure to this. Maybe warm-up, 60-90 mins 'balls out', cool down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

yeah, i didn't want to get too structured. a little warm up first is good (Kickapoo up) and then it's on. I just like to make sure I kick my own ass to get some fat burnt off. I was thinking Tues. or Thurs. I don't want to interfere with Wed. events or weekends. it's also gonna have to be about 6 PM since I'll likely be working till 5:30.

Works for me Russ!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will probably be riding on thursday nights quite a bit

Sweet!
    Experiencing the world through second hand information isn’t enough. If we want authenticity we have to initiate it. We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

Fatbike riding has been excellent training for me.
    Lance Lau

The weather has been killing the trail riding. maybe momma nature is getting the water out so the Stampede will be dry. cross your fingers. Anyway, I plan to go to Sylvan after work tomorrow and if it's wet, I'm gonna ride the bike path. I'll be there about 5
    Last edited by Russhole; 03-13-2013 at 06:56 PM.

See you there

Looking forward to a conditions report and outlook for this weekend.
    "Coach says I've got the heart of a champion and legs of a spectator"

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

If anyone is interested, I will be starting training (in the loosest sense of the word) rides on the county roads surrounding Port Byron in a week or so on the skinny bike. Rides are usually 15-35 miles at 16-18 mph avg. with a few hills thrown in (probably a bit slower/shorter/less hilly this early in the season).

Why you hijacking my thread, punk? JK of course... let me know what days you go out. I'll probably join you. I'm gonna try to ride every day till the Stampede.

Started my training yesterday. Didn't bring my mountain bike to Colorado, but I just finished climbing Lookout Mountain (cat 2) on my road bike. I think I have 90 miles in between yesterday and today.

If trail conditions don't improve I'll be hitting it hard with my road bike until the Stampede. I wanted to have 1000 miles in before it, but I doubt that happens. I like the Hubbard Rd loop that the QCBC Wed night ride does and I like to head out from the shop and do a loop through Duck Creek.

Gonna go out tomorrow. Sylvan should be mostly okay to ride. I was there yesterday and it was about 75 percent, of course that didn't stop Don from riding. I followed his tracks and took some pics of the damage he left for me to fix. Be sure to give him a one finger salute next time you see him. Anyway, the south east corner was mushy and there were a lot of wet spots that should be dried up now. I'll be there about 5.

So does this mean you are going to open the trails today?

Quote Originally Posted by Russhole View Post
    Gonna go out tomorrow. Sylvan should be mostly okay to ride. I was there yesterday and it was about 75 percent, of course that didn't stop Don from riding. I followed his tracks and took some pics of the damage he left for me to fix. Be sure to give him a one finger salute next time you see him. Anyway, the south east corner was mushy and there were a lot of wet spots that should be dried up now. I'll be there about 5.
    "I've spent half of my life riding a bike, the other half I wasted!"

REALLY, REALLY, REALLY jonesin' for a ride.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

A friend who has never ridden Sylvan but wants to do the Stampede is coming up from Bloomington tomorrow night, and we plan to ride Saturday morning. Prolly 8 AM or 9 before things start getting slimy as temperatures rise. Weatherbug says 26 degrees at 8 AM, 28 by 9 AM and 30 by 10 AM. Waiting for friend's reply before I post a ride.

Friday night will likely be a QCA microbrewery tour starting around 8 PM. Stay tuned via Facebook.
    I wanna ride!

We will be at Sylvan around 8:30 on Saturday 3/23/13.
    I wanna ride!

Quote Originally Posted by jJohnson View Post
    Didn't bring my mountain bike to Colorado, but I just finished climbing Lookout Mountain (cat 2) on my road bike.
    Oh really? Lookout Mountain is my primary training mountain. Spend plenty of time riding up Lookout Mountain Road and Chimney Glutch (the singletrack that runs up the same mountain). Lookout Mountain Road is a fun descent, isn't it!?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie View Post
    Oh really? Lookout Mountain is my primary training mountain. Spend plenty of time riding up Lookout Mountain Road and Chimney Glutch (the singletrack that runs up the same mountain). Lookout Mountain Road is a fun descent, isn't it!?
    Yesssssssss. Well worth the 1hr it took me to climb (with stops to take photos). I got stuck behind some dork on a scooter going down, though. Probably for my own good, though. I saw some people starting up the singletrack but it looked too soft to even be open. I stopped at a shop and talked with a guy that said the trails wouldn't be open until the last day I was there. Glad I didn't take my mountain bike, then.

Quote Originally Posted by jJohnson View Post
    I got stuck behind some dork on a scooter going down, though.
    Yeah, it's easy to go faster then the vehicles down it. It's 'technically' illegal to pass vehicles on the way down... 'technically'...

Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie View Post
    Yeah, it's easy to go faster then the vehicles down it. It's 'technically' illegal to pass vehicles on the way down... 'technically'...
    I didn't feel safe doing so. I ended up getting stuck behind 6 or so cars in a line. I would really just like to ride down it all day long. So much fun. I didn't know you were in Golden. I have two friends that live there, just off of Washington and 5th. We saw someone with Scott County plates on their car, that wouldn't happen to be you, would it? I've been looking at going back to school and CU-Boulder is at the top of my short list.
    Last edited by jJohnson; 03-25-2013 at 10:37 PM.