Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enchanted Winter Stomp/Ride- Friday 12/28

Default Enchanted Winter Stomp/Ride- Friday 12/28

Charge yo lights.

Pack yo packs.

Saddle up on yer bikes.

Plan is to meet up Friday afternoon somewhere downtown (more details coming) and ride our bikes out to the Enchanted Inn (restaurant/drinking establishment) in far SW Davenport for food, bonfire and friends.

You got a Fat Bike? That's bad-ass! Stomp down the Mississippi River bottoms through Credit Island, over the bike bridge to S. Concord and river banks from there to Dee's for a Friday night biker gathering.

You got a regular, run of the mill mountain bike? Feeling tough? Awesome. You can hang with us fat riders without much problem. Nothing to impassable for a mt bike- and we are paralleling a road the entire way.

You got a road bike, cx bike or extra cycle? Superb. You can ride the bike path to Credit Island, over the new bike bridge and S. Concord all the way there. Nice ride with little to no traffic.

Stomp should take a few hours, depending on the number of pit stops we make. Lots of fun places to explore and ride.

We can belly up to the bar if you are so inclined, but I think I'm gonna be out in the nice weather, huddled around this, like this weird guy...

Post up if interested, I'll be providing more details soon.

(And for those of you who wish to take the 4 wheeled gas guzzlers out there, you're alright too)

Dee's Enchanted Inn
    4815 South Concord Street
    Davenport, IA 52802

Cheers!
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

yup.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Fatbike does not miss Enchanted rides.

This sounds like a superior time. Count me and My Russian Mail Order Bride in Fo Sho!
    Dirt Don't Hurt

Snow? Riding? Beer? Fire? yawn

I was able to gather some pertinent information during the day yesterday, so it looks like we are going to meet up at Front Street Brewery in the Freight House (421 West River Drive Davenport, IA 52801) around 4:30 for pregame libations.

I would like to roll out of the parking lot between 5:30 and 6:00pm. This gives us enough time to mess around and make a stop or two to refuel. Hoping to make the Enchanted Inn by 8:00 at the latest. No one will be left behind as this is a total group ride- rules of the TT's will be strictly enforced...Have fun and no whining. ;-)

We will have a couple options for the ride back- either retrace our route or pedal our butts off on the pavement depending on the mood of all.

Bring your light chargers if you need to- the staff at the Enchanted Inn are very welcoming and the times we have been out there, they have been happy to see us "crazy bikers". I plan on calling ahead to see if they could get the bonfire up and rolling by the time we get there.

Gonna be a fun time to say the least.

Last edited by badfish41; 12-27-2012 at 07:33 AM.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

never been so excited and ready to ride in 20 degree weather in my life.

this ride has the potential to go down as THE ride of 2012. jus sayin......

Might be able to make this. Sounds like a blast.

I switched shifts and will be off at 330 now. Went and got a headlamp today after I rode sylvan on the new cobia. It was awesome. My gopro and I will be there and charged up to drink and ride! Yes the gopro usually throws a few back to.
    Experiencing the world through second hand information isn’t enough. If we want authenticity we have to initiate it. We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by sixers2009 View Post
    I switched shifts and will be off at 330 now. Went and got a headlamp today after I rode sylvan on the new cobia. It was awesome. My gopro and I will be there and charged up to drink and ride! Yes the gopro usually throws a few back to.
    BAD ASS. Can't wait to hang out with the Go Pro. Hope he buys me a PBR.

This here ride is shaping up rather nicely.

I've been hoping to ride with sixers2009 and his gopro for months now. Undoubtedly, the gopro enjoys fine prohibition-era whiskey.

Looking forward to this ride like no other.

Default Sylvan this morning

Experiencing the world through second hand information isn’t enough. If we want authenticity we have to initiate it. We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

If I don't have to work Sat. and can get out of work early enough, I'll be there.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

In!

In, as I'm sure the entire ride will include plenty of proceeding with of caution.

FYI - Word on the street is that you can rent Mukluks from World of Bikes in Iowa City, and the rental fee goes towards the purchase of any model fatbike should you be so inclined. I'll be on that plan tomorrow.
    "Coach says I've got the heart of a champion and legs of a spectator"

This ride is going to be epic! Anyone used these http://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...raction-chains

Guys! U won't need a fatty in 2-1/2 months. You'll be fine with a skinny like me;-). Of course it does help to be a fatty on a skinny tire!

The the good Dr. will be there seated upon his rolling steel death trap on 2 wheels.
    "Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."
    -John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by BD83 View Post
    In, as I'm sure the entire ride will include plenty of proceeding with of caution.

FYI - Word on the street is that you can rent Mukluks from World of Bikes in Iowa City, and the rental fee goes towards the purchase of any model fatbike should you be so inclined. I'll be on that plan tomorrow.
    Music to my ears, BD, music to my ears.

I'll post up here when jimithng23 and I are heading downtown, may be there a bit early for some pre-ride riding and pub stops. Anyone and everyone welcome.

Oh, yeah, Dutra said 1/2" of fresh pow pow this afternoon to put a nice clean blanket of snow cover for us.

Mother Nature is my friend.

Cheers!

I think I will do some stompin with you guys tonight

Quote Originally Posted by sixers2009 View Post
    This ride is going to be epic! Anyone used these http://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...raction-chains
    I have made a couple of sets of these and they have worked ok. To get them to really bite the snow/ice I had to keep the air pressure on the higher end which isn't the best for riding in snow/ice, so it is kind of a trade off. I put one of them on an old Schwinn Moab of mine and had a problem with clearance so had to go to a smaller tire to keep the chains from eating my chain stays up. Put the other set on my pugsley but with running such low air pressure the tire kind of absorbed the chains and I don't really know if they provided that much more traction, so I took them back off. They definitely look badass though, but that's a lot of money. If you are handy, it doesn't take much to get the materials from the hardware store and make them yourself for a fraction of the cost.
    Tourist

Downtown ETA - 2:30. Text me if you plan on heading down early. 563-528-07ninenine.

Fatbike.

Board Position
    President

Stupid ride. Canceled.
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

Baghh! Fell on my face somewhere on the ride home!