Thread: Fat Bike Cranks

Default Fat Bike Cranks

I have a Mukluk 3 which came with chain/tire clearance issues due to the crankset choice made by Salsa. It is tight with the 3.7 endomorph tire. This summer I will be getting a nate 3.8 tire which will not work even with dishing the wheel a mm or two. I am looking at upgrading the crankset to get the clearance.

I was looking at getting the Mr. Whirly Offset Double but heard that with time and a lot of use the chainrings "explode." I am not sure if that is the case.

Has anyone had an issue with the Mr. Whirly Offset Double?

I have the Whirly crank arms/spindle combo but I'm using a different chain ring combo instead of the MWOD. My Muk3 (2013) didn't have any issues with the stock crankset (which I've since swapped out) and the 3.8 Nate's.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

I have a 2012 Muk 3 with the stock cranks, Nate on the back, and the stock rear wheel. I have no more/no less chain rub than when I had the Morph, and it really only happens when I'm in the small chain-ring up front and big cog in the rear.

With that said....I'd love to not have to worry about picking up so much junk into my drivetrain when in the small/large combo, it sounds awful when it happens!

I personally think they are overpriced for the reviews I've read,seen, and also for how new the product is. I say buyer beware with NEW Surly COMPONENTS; their first venture in the hub world was an absolute failure. I went through 2 sets before I gave up on them. That was my experience.

That being said, I have a buddy who absolutely puts his MWOD cranks through hell and he loves them.

Here's your chance to score a set of MWOD's for relatively cheap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Surly-Mr-Whi...item20ced31bbe

In all my research while looking for different options other than the stock set, it seems ALL fat bike cranks are bringing more $ than they should. e.13 wants north of $300 for their set, same with Raceface.

Can't fault the manufacturers if people are willing to pay the price, why sell for less?

Pretty sure badfish has the MWOD on his Necro and as far I know he hasn't had any issues - and, he hasn't been particularly nice to that bike. Fat bike don't give a sh#t, and that's how he rides.

That ebay deal looks pretty good. Buy it!! ;-)

I appreciate the input. Since the cost of Fat Bike components tend to be high I don't want to regret the decision.

I'd take Jimithng23's advice and try to steal that set.

No problems with my Mr Whirly ss crankset. I bought it well used, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    I'd take Jimithng23's advice and try to steal that set.
    at that price, I may heed my own adivce. ;-)

that chatter about the sram xx1 has been very interesting, if only they didn't cost well over a grand...
    Lance Lau

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantic View Post
    that chatter about the sram xx1 has been very interesting, if only they didn't cost well over a grand...
    Not worth the price, IMO. Are they going to produce the crank with a spindle long enough to accommodate a fatty?

I've had the Whirly cranks on my Necro for 8 months and have been put through hell and they have performed brilliantly. Well worth the money.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

47 minutes left on that crankset and they're still at 170.00

The xx1's look nice. And then I clicked on the new Red line. And then I felt sick.

For those that have never seen one let a lone used one the Surly crank has some inherent issues with chainrings and/or spiders breaking/bending. I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft stick.

E13 double is the way to go , Yes it is $299 (Less than most of their 'normal' cranks BTW) but as they say you get what you pay for.

-Huck

Huck, no offense but you might weigh a buck 'O five dripping wet. I don't see you bending anything.

On my set of Whirly's I'm not using the Surly rings but I have the 5 bolt/4 bolt spider. Can't say I've had an issue but I haven't had them for very long.

If there are issues (I'm not saying they don't exist) I haven't heard about it...yet.

Also if the spider does blow up, what's it cost to replace? Shouldn't be much.

Also, there's been plenty of cases of the spindle/bottom bracket interface on the e.13 crankset failing due to the polygonal shape.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't?

;-)

Quote Originally Posted by jJohnson View Post
    Not worth the price, IMO. Are they going to produce the crank with a spindle long enough to accommodate a fatty?
    according to a thread on the fatbike forum at MTBR.com, they already are.
    Lance Lau

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    Huck, no offense but you might weigh a buck 'O five dripping wet. I don't see you bending anything.

On my set of Whirly's I'm not using the Surly rings but I have the 5 bolt/4 bolt spider. Can't say I've had an issue but I haven't had them for very long.

If there are issues (I'm not saying they don't exist) I haven't heard about it...yet.

Also if the spider does blow up, what's it cost to replace? Shouldn't be much.
    ~65 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by gigantic View Post
    I wouldn't throw that kind of money on a fatbike, but to shave 1.31 pounds from a XT 2x10 drivetrain to a XX1 drivetrain on a race bike... I'm saving up for the 2014 season.