Thread: Year In Review and What's In Store

Board Position
    President

Default Year In Review and What's In Store

This post is meant to get every one thinking about when and what to plan for.

2012 began with above normal temperatures, so many of us got an early jump on getting our legs ready for the 8th annual Sylvan Island Stampede. It's clear that this club has this race figured out; we've been getting over 100 participants for the last several years. It's the most unique and spectator-friendly race on the schedule.

We also put another Mid-West Mountain Bike Fest in the history books which completed our 2 year commitment. Nice work everyone! You all made this a fantastic time for all.

This past year ended up being the driest weather-wise and, therefore, one of the best for riding in years. I put on plenty of miles on our own trails and rode plenty of others. On Memorial Day weekend along with a good group of other FORC'ers, I made it back to Kettle for the first time in years. Blue Mound was a must with a stop at the Grumpy Troll. Can't forget Farmdale, Sugar and FDR. This was also another year for Copper Harbor; still awesome after the third year. We extended it to add a couple of new trail systems I've never been to. Marquette, MI, even though it was shortened by rain, was fantastic. Can't wait to go back. We followed Marquette with a trip to Nine Mile and partaking in Gnome Fest. We have seen the rise of the fat bike: a whole new way to enjoy our sport.

Things to look forward to this year:
    •Kicking off the year with the FORC winter party/ chilly cook off on February 2 at Front Street Freight House location.
    •March meeting will be held at Blue Iguana in LeClaire, IA. Of you haven't Heard FORC is buying dinner.
    •The Sylvan Island Stampede - April 14
    •The Memorial weekend trip this year will be at Levis Trow Mounds. If you have never been, put it in ink on your calendar. May 25-27.
    •I'm going to plan a trip to the Kansas City area sometime in June. More details to come.
    •FORC Fest will make its debut this year (not sure when, haven't heard of a solid date yet)
    •We will also see the return of a race at Sunderbruch Park in July.
    •Of course Labor Day weekend, you will find me in Copper once again. This trip will most likely be 6-7 days long with the option to just do Copper for 4-5 days

There are many other events that I encourage everyone to look into. The entire Iowa and Illinois race series, Wausau 24, and many more. Keep checking our forum. I'll also update our calendar when race and event dates become less tentative.

Here's to another year of riding with a great club and awesome friends.
    So, what's on your agenda?
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

Well, since you asked:
    2013 Tentative Race Calendar (Tentative):
    April 14th - Sylvan Island Stampede (22.5 miles)
    April 20th - Ridgeline Rampage (60 miles)
    May 4th - Battle the Bear (60 miles)
    May 18th - Indian Creek (Marathon)
    May 25th - Gunnison Growler (64 miles)
    June 1st - PV Cycle Derby (66 miles)
    June 29th - 40 in the Fort
    July 4th - Firecraker 50
    July 14th - Breckenridge 68
    July 20th - 12 Hours of Snowmass (solo/duo TBA)
    August 4th - Tahosa (Marathon)
    August 10th - Leadville 100
    August 17th - Steamboat Stinger (50 miles)
    August 31st - Park City Point to Point (78 miles)

*Marathon is typically 60-70 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In addition to Landahl and Levis, Alafia River and Balm Boyette Parks in Florida, Brown County in Indiana, Cuyuna in Minnesota, either Kettle or Blue Mounds, and some of RAGBRAI. Also taking a cruise to Alaska, but there won't be any biking there... or will there????
    I wanna ride!

Post Canyon- Hood River, Oregon is #1 on my list in 2013. Maybe a stop in Seattle, WA, Bend, OR, Black Hills, SD, Bozeman, MT, Pacific Ocean, CA and Fruita, CO if there is time. NBD.

Looking forward to a lot of great times again this year with my FORC pals. Hopefully making a lot more memorable moments as was done in 2012. Mother Nature was good to us last year as AG said, but that doesn't mean we won't have the same good fortune this year.

As always, I look forward to the opportunity to volunteer time building and maintaining our own great QC trails so I can enjoy them in the in between times. No better way to enjoy trail than knowing you have helped create and solidify the dirt underneath the bike you ride.

Oh, and a **** ton of fatbiking when I want to roll slow and smile.

Cheers to topping 2012. If done, I want to be fully intrenched in the mountain biking goodness 2013 has to offer.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

I hope to make it back to the QC's this summer & ride with y'all, hopefully one of the local races if they don't conflict with my motorcycle racing schedule.
    Lance Lau

Quote Originally Posted by badfish41 View Post
    Maybe a stop in Seattle, WA, Bend, OR, Black Hills, SD, Bozeman, MT, Pacific Ocean, CA and Fruita, CO if there is time. NBD.
    I hear Bend, OR has some pretty sweet trails. There's a reasons a handful of world cup pros live there.

What is the scoop on the race at Sunderbruch? Will that be a part of the Iowa series?

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Sunderbruch

Quote Originally Posted by Vittetoe761 View Post
    What is the scoop on the race at Sunderbruch? Will that be a part of the Iowa series?
    Not sure actually. It's possible, but I haven't heard back from the Iowa series coordinator yet. When I find out, I'll let everyone know.
    2012 World DodgeTyre Champion

Looking forward to racing Sylvan, first of all. IL series and some IA series races, too. Nothing set in stone yet. Won't be making any special trips, unfortunately.

aye aye...2012 will go down as one of the greatest years in FORC history, at least in my mind.

to add to AG's list:
    • 600+ hours in 4 months to complete the Jubilee Extension
    • unprecedented receipt of funding via grants
    • 9 FORC'rs braved an 18-hour drive straight through to Moab for 6 days of hardcore riding and drinking!

I've heard rumors of a 3-4 day hardcore trip to Winter Park / Keystone / Valmont Bike Park.

I've also heard about bikepacking in the Black Hills, and I'm intrigued by that trip.

Last on my list is to return to the Grand Junction area for 3-4 days and ride until my a$$ bleeds.

2013 should be a good year, fo sho.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    I've heard rumors of a 3-4 day hardcore trip to Winter Park / Keystone / Valmont Bike Park.
    Oh really... you better give me some dates. You know you always have a place to stay.

Though I didn't get to do a ton of it, I love getting out and trail building. My favorite memory from 2012 may well be helping to build the moon tower as well as putting in the last stretch of trail on the Jubilee extension at Sunderbruch.

I will never forget 2012 as the year I got FAT. World Fat Bike Day and the Enchanted Ride...I don't know if either of those happenings will ever be topped in my mind. EVER. "You guys playing Quarters?!? I freakin' love Quarters!"

How could I forget MWMBF 2012, discovering Fester Jones, and doing the Quad Fecta while riding through a raging hang over? I went from being so drunk that I pee'd in my own tent (Hey. I thought I was in the woods), riding the first leg (SCP) blind, the second leg (SBP) hung-the-funk-ooooovvver, the third leg (SYL) better, and wrapped up (ILL) stone sober. That was wild. Then, quite honestly, losing to Auggie's Doggies and subsequently watching the new champs, the Squirrel Kings, experience the unequivocal joy of being crowned 2012 Dodgetyre Tournament Champions of Champions was priceless.

...BEER CHARIOT!!!

In 2013, I hope to go on the Memorial Day Trip, make my return to Ray's Indoor MTB Park, "Race" Fat Bike category at the Stampede April 14th, and I am headed to Colorado for a week around June 8th. I've never ridden out West anywhere so I'm extremely stoked about that. Oh, and this should be the year that my 4 yo boy finds his way to the trails to ride with me. That will be a very, very special experience for me. FORC FEST 2013 will be an event second to none. Here's hoping I remember to install a port-a-jon in my tent this time.
    Dirt Don't Hurt