Thread: Need to protect eyeballs from the cold????

Default Need to protect eyeballs from the cold????

Hey guys, been trying to figure something out for glasses/goggles cause the last couple times I tried to ride in the cold with my balclava on and pulled up over my nose, kept fogging out really bad couldnt see ****!!! Luckily was on pavement, hehe

I tried to buy some double pane type goggles, but they are glasses style and dont fit my big head, so I come to you guys...

what type/where can i find goggles/glasses that wont insta-fog when Im geared up for the cold stuff???

Matter of IMPORTANCE, i pay my Trek Marlin off next weekend, wanna be able to take it to the trails ASAP!!!

I just use regular ski goggles. Never had an issue with fogging, but I don't wear glasses under them.

I would suggest arranging the balaclava in a way where your breath isn't being trapped up into the goggle area- basically be sure that your breath is escaping through your facial layer.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Any type of ski goggle should do the job. I have to recommend geartrade.com or backcountry.com. They are the same company, except geartrade sells, barely used or worn once, returned items. They have a good selection of goggles for less than $100. I generally do not like to spend more than that on goggles because the construction is basically the same in all of them.

Personally I choose them based on which has the best protection from the very bright snow. I prefer mirrored to polarized because the least amount of light gets through. Plus, they look really sweet.

Also, look for OTG stands for over-the -glasses.
    Last edited by Crimpin'; 01-07-2013 at 09:02 AM.

Yep. Ski goggles. I bought my Scotts used from a pal for $5.

Pays to know people, I guess.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

I bought mine on Amazon for $20 and they work great.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Orrrrrrr keep yo glasses and buy one of these handy dandy facemasks, hot sale, tonight only:
    http://www.qcforc.org/showthread.php...-gear-for-sale

I wear prescription glasses and don't usually have a problem with the cold; however, my glasses do fog up if my Balaclava is over my nose. I haven't found a solution and every pair of goggles I've owned have done the same thing. I just let my nose freeze. I don't like to smell things anyways.

I don't wear glasses in that sense but I didn't know if there was something's specific for us mtbr's in glasses or giggle form. I have a bontrager balaclava and keeping breathe from coming up is impossible with it pulled up. Apperently balaclavas don't allow large volumes of air to move easily LOL.

Do ski goggles interfere with our helmets? And the whole thing for bright snow, I always have sunglasses so never considered the fact of it for riding but makes sense.

Thnx for the info ill see what I can find cause I'm hoping to hit sylvan with the new trek this Sunday but well see.

Some companies make a Balaclava that has holes in the nose/mouth region that allows for better exhaust. My Outdoor Research does not have those. Goggles may or may not interface with your helmet, you'll just have to try then on. A lot of the guys use snowboard helmets in the winter that are made for goggles.

Most ski goggles are designed to sit right up against the ridge of a ski helmet to create a "seal". If you're wearing a regular helmet, I'd say you'd be more than fine since typically those don't come as far down on the forehead.

I have the same problems as others in here, in that I wear prescription glasses that fog up heavily if I'm not careful of my breathing and where I have my face mask. I ordered what is supposed to be the best anti-fog ever (called cat-crap, no joke) from Amazon, should be here tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    Most ski goggles are designed to sit right up against the ridge of a ski helmet to create a "seal". If you're wearing a regular helmet, I'd say you'd be more than fine since typically those don't come as far down on the forehead.

I have the same problems as others in here, in that I wear prescription glasses that fog up heavily if I'm not careful of my breathing and where I have my face mask. I ordered what is supposed to be the best anti-fog ever (called cat-crap, no joke) from Amazon, should be here tomorrow.
    Can't wait to hear your review. I used to play paintball and swear I tried every kind of anti-fog on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post

Well I'll be damned...

I love REI's comment about it: "Easy to carry in your pocket, the 0.5 oz. container holds enough Cat Crap for multiple uses"

You know, because you never know when you need a big heap of cat crap on the go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It just showed up and I put some on my regular glasses. It passes the breath test, I could fog them up by breathing directly on them before, but not after. They also make a spray, but all the reviews I saw were for the paste, so that's what I got. Looking forward to some rides to see how long it'll last!

well I have some cheaper vented goggles that fit my head, but their clr lenses :( Want to hear the review though on that stuff, may be my ticket instead of spending retarded amounts of money on goggles (rather be putting that money for savings to get my Rebas for the Trek )

I also read something that seemed odd but wtf, worth a shot maybe, peal part of a potato, rub the peeled area on the glasses on both sides, then buff with a clean cloth......
    Last edited by Tigris99; 01-08-2013 at 11:54 PM.

Scuba divers have the same problem with fogging masks. here are a few tricks to try. clean new glasses/goggles with non abrasive toothpaste, this takes off any production coatings. Older goggles wash with dish soap. to keep them fogless; try rain-x and rub it off really well. Another product that works like cat crap (great name) is Sea-Drops. But most important if you're out on the trail and fogging, spit onto the lens and wipe it off just enough so you can see. I also have used chapstick to put as thin a layer on the lens as possible...sounds like I need a new dive mask.

So I've used the Cat Crap stuff for a few rides now, ranging from 50 degrees to 15 degrees. Wearing my sunglasses (which tend to fog up when stopping even during the summer) fog up pretty much just as bad with my mouth/nose mask on. It works really well for times like when you come in from the cold into heat, but other than that... I'd say for the cold to hot transition the stuff is still worth the money actually, it's only like $6 a can, but don't expect it to work miracles if you're fogging up while riding.

Cat-crap works great as an anti-fog. I've been using it for years both biking and skiing. I never were goggles. Don't like the feel of them and I hate the tunnel effect.