hey all. I'm 6'8" & 260 pounds & I'm currently riding a heavily modified 2012 Specialized 23" Hardrock disc 29er. (diff. wheels, stem & bar, seat, tires, pegs, converted to 1x8 from 3x7). I've finally gotten the bike modified so that I no longer worry abut it breaking every time I ride it, but I've come to realize that I've begun to reach the limits of what the bike will do in terms of handling. I'm increasingly frustrated with the bike's sluggish steering, especially in tight, technical sections, not to mention the fork's 20-30mm of travel...
So, my plan was to upgrade to a Specialized Carve Expert 23" & convert the Hardrock into a single-speed rigid. Then I caught a bad case of Fat Bike Fever. I've got an irresistible lust for a 22" Surly Pugsley. I want one bad. Now i'm thinking about buying one and in the spring, picking up a Rockshox Recon gold and calling that good.
Pros: fat bikes can go anywhere that a 29er can, and many places they won't: mud, snow sand etc.. They're two wheeled tanks.The Pugsley has excellent components and can run 29er wheels, too. From what I've seen of guys racing them, it's a wash in terms of speed; in fact some people I know, are faster on their fatties. They're fricking fun.

Cons: heavy- I'd have two heavy-ass bikes. with the recon, the Hardrock will absorb bumps better and that should improve the handling significantly, but the rake will still be slack and the steering sluggish. My LBS mechanic thinks I won't even want to look at the 29er after getting the fatty and is urging me to get it. Fwiw, he doesn't have a dog in the fight- my LBS here in Philly sells Specialized, but not Surly. lastly: are fat bikes the new fixes? I'm 42 and for****ssake, a fricking super-clyde: skinny jeans & beards don't work for me.

so, should I go fat, or get the Carve and live with the regret for a season?