Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: talk me down...

Board Position
    President

You could ask mine. She would have no idea. 7 but who's counting.
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

well if, or I should say when since half the club has Fattys, will put me up to 4 by that point cause I plan to buy a BB road bike for riding pavement here nad riding to/from work during nice weather. Wont be anything fancy, bikes get stolen WAY too often in Clinton so a brand name would be gone as soon a I turned my back if locked up outside. Shes ok at that right now cause road bike will be cheap (schwinn varsity probably). But I had to suck up to spend 700 on the marlin, suck up BIG TIME, so how to hide $1600 for a Pugs and lie about the cost.... got several months to plan this, probably employ some club help. Maybe Ill land one of these new jobs I have been applying for so I could save up and hand her $700 and say go shopping the day I bring it home. I blame all this new problem on gigantic, if I didnt see that yellow and black pugs I wouldnt have this problem hehe

Count your blessings. That's a good problem to have. ;-)
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

This is what happened to me after joining this club. Started with the little orange Schwinn Moab and now there are ten more to keep it company. Sorry, but that's what happens. I just beg for forgiveness if the wife happens to notice.

Tourist

That is the definition of glory.

I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a wife ain't one.

I have a lot less bikes that I should. Too many incomplete projects, I can't bring myself to complete one of them apparently.

Tigris, you can delay the roadbike by getting a 2nd set of wheels and 32mm road tires. I did that with my 29er and i have an keep up just fine. I have a feeling that it will receive a carbon fork and a bigger chain ring (it's currently a 1x8)for dedicated road duty...
    Lance Lau

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

took her out for it's maiden spin at Valley Forge today... She's one fat girl that I'm not ashamed to be seen riding. We did a 10.4 mile loop, 2 fat bikes, 2 29ers. Even though the guys on the 29ers were in much better shape (they're roadies), they had a hard time keeping up with the fatties. The Pugsley is a world of difference away from my Specialized- the wheelbase is nearly 4" shorter and handles appreciatively better. In spite of the quicker steering, it feels more stable, too. Bombing the descents, which has been almost terrifying on the 29er, it just flew down, easy as pie. It's almost as if line selection is irrelevant; in one section, I entered the hill too late and the line I was on took me into a root with a wicked drop, I just hucked it and kept rolling down the hill. That line on my Hardrock, with it's crappy suntour fork would have put me on my head. I think I'll keep my CX tires on the specialized and maybe put drops on there too. It'll be a better urban commuter; I don't see it seeing much single track for a while.

Once you go fat, do you ever go back?
    Lance Lau

well actually cant postpone road bike, no way in hell I am locking my 29er up outside anywhere,lol. The name Trek on it every scuzzy peice of trash within 2 miles will smell it and decend on it before even make it inside work. I thought about that idea, but just not worth the risk, $249 for a road bike is easy enough, its that whole fatbike that obviously ALL TOY for $1600 that would be the problem. But employing club help I can get one of you guys to say I bought it off you cheap when the time comes Then I think i will be ok except yelled at over a 4th bike. Better to ask for forgivness than permission lol. Btu I aint about to ask for forgiveness on $1600 so gotta hide that part hehe.

"She's one fat girl that I'm not ashamed to be seen riding." lmao, never be ashamed, just dont get caught

Oh had to add this point, roadies aint got **** on MTBers, 20miles on road on my BigBox 26" aint **** compared to 3 miles on our trails!!! Roadies can just ride forever, put them on a MTB and..... nothing against roadies but I ride more paved than trail, and trails tear me up road I gotta ride 20miles to get a good workout out of it on a 34lb MTB.
    Last edited by Tigris99; 01-20-2013 at 01:30 PM.

roadies, mtb'ers, unicyclists, BMX'ers, dirt jumpers, downhillers, free riders, cyclocross riders....

it's all cool.

being on the bike with a good attitude and positive outlook on life is what counts.

glad you guys are loving your new bikes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tigris99 View Post
    well actually cant postpone road bike, no way in hell I am locking my 29er up outside anywhere,lol. The name Trek on it every scuzzy peice of trash within 2 miles will smell it and decend on it before even make it inside work. I thought about that idea, but just not worth the risk, $249 for a road bike is easy enough, its that whole fatbike that obviously ALL TOY for $1600 that would be the problem. But employing club help I can get one of you guys to say I bought it off you cheap when the time comes Then I think i will be ok except yelled at over a 4th bike. Better to ask for forgivness than permission lol. Btu I aint about to ask for forgiveness on $1600 so gotta hide that part hehe.

"She's one fat girl that I'm not ashamed to be seen riding." lmao, never be ashamed, just dont get caught

Oh had to add this point, roadies aint got **** on MTBers, 20miles on road on my BigBox 26" aint **** compared to 3 miles on our trails!!! Roadies can just ride forever, put them on a MTB and..... nothing against roadies but I ride more paved than trail, and trails tear me up road I gotta ride 20miles to get a good workout out of it on a 34lb MTB.
    We deal with guys that want to hide the cost of bike purchases on a fairly regular basis. We've developed some pretty effective techniques.

Also, there's no need to bad mouth Roadies. To each their own. If you really want to get down to who's cooler then I'd say cyclocross guys are the toughest. There's something about bombing hills in excess of 50mph on my road bike or winning a sprint that gets my adrenaline flowing. I have a ton of respect for guys that climb mountains.

Oh not bad louthing roadies by any means just average roadies don't ride near as hard as mtbers as their terrain is much easier. I find pavment riding relaxing and enjoy it too. The cyclocross guys and one like that ill kneel in front of, those guys are tough and got some BIG jewels! But hell I stop when I see the 10" drop on a Dh spot on sylvan.

Quote Originally Posted by jJohnson View Post
    We deal with guys that want to hide the cost of bike purchases on a fairly regular basis. We've developed some pretty effective techniques.
    I had a novel approach to hiding the cost of purchase to my GF...

Quote Originally Posted by jJohnson View Post
    Also, there's no need to bad mouth Roadies. To each their own. If you really want to get down to who's cooler then I'd say cyclocross guys are the toughest. There's something about bombing hills in excess of 50mph on my road bike or winning a sprint that gets my adrenaline flowing. I have a ton of respect for guys that climb mountains.
    Werd. bombing the hills is the easy part, getting up them is HARD!!! Tigris, the QC's is maybe not the most ideal place to experience road biking, since everything in the midwest is so flat... I'm convinced that doping or not, the guys who compete in the Tour de France are amongst the best athletes in the world. I feel like i'm going to die after climbing the 485 ft high, 3 mile-long hill at the end of my road loop, I can't imagine what it's like to do the mountain sections. Those guys are hard core. Mountain biking is a whole different animal: apples and oranges man, don't knock it till you've tried it. Make a loop in davenport, from Brady st, to the East Village, climbing the hill, going over one block east & descending, then going over one block east and climbing again, repeating til you make it to Mound St or Jersey Ridge, riding as hard as you can. That might give you a different appreciation for real road biking.
    Lance Lau

Ya guess im a bit biased cause road vs mtb for me is night and day, road being so much easier, but when you add in mountains and things, becomes something to be humbled by. You right I didnt make a fair comparison, so used to the mostly flat I didnt think of road biking beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantic View Post
    at Valley Forge
    Sounds epic. Jealous; love our Revolutionary history.

She's one fat girl that I'm not ashamed to be seen riding.
    Guy from my generation of jokes -- like riding a Moped :-) Fatbikes don't fit that category!

it just flew down, easy as pie. It's almost as if line selection is irrelevant
    Agreed! Lotta guys in the club have great control & finesse on their Fattie. I'm not that smooth; have to take advantage of chaotic momentum to keep upright.

Once you go fat, do you ever go back?
    Got over 1k miles on Muk since july 1 (commuting, tour, trash, brewtour, singletrack, stomping, etc). Prolly only 100 miles on my old 26" XCaliber since then. Beauty is only skin deep. Fatties will do it anywhere!

FWIW -- to share some things I picked up from other club members or learned (the hard way). Disregard at your preference:
    Its not all about shaving weight -- rolling mass has its advantages on a Fattie.
    Black floyds in the summer can save your knobs (expensive) for when they matter.
    Get a low pressure tire gauge if you don't already. As Milky mentioned, handling at 3psi is diff from 5psi.
    I weigh about 165lbs -- 2 psi each tire is about the lowest working for me (on very icy/crunchy snow & mud & sand. And wow sometimes what a commute workout!). I normally run about 5psi w/the Surly tubes w/heavy sidewalls help avoid pinch flats. In past 1 1/2 month or so, been running 5oz Stans inside each tube. No flats since then riding across RR tracks, curbs, commuting, TRASH riding along shore of heavy polluted Mississippi w/broken glass, fish hooks, nails, , etc
    Consider the 40gm Innovate Big Air -- it helps if your time is limited, and carry pump for backup.

Most of all, the Fattie will open up a whole new riding adventure if you make it happen. BadFish introduced me to stomping grounds around Credit Island rivershore. Wow -- a Fatbike Playground!! Find similar, it helps Fatties bring some new smiles. I'm using (some say abusing) my Fattie now, but she's not complaining yet. This pic doesn't show well, but the X7 is frozen, caked w/mud & water FROZEN not shifting, from 3-4hrs Thur nt riding in 6-10" of Mississippi 50yds at a time, sometimes more, water over tops & inside boots and all. Look close can see the 1/8" ice on the rim (or parts it flaked off). Whole new world of riding -- fun every single minute. A quick 5 minute wash, resetting H & L on X7, and oil or purple magic on EVERYTHING, and good to go. To quote Milky again -- Fattie don't give a S#!T
    Attachment 445

Quote Originally Posted by Guldy View Post
    To quote Milky again -- Fattie don't give a S#!T
    ah, man...thanks for the credit but I can't accept.

I believe the phrase began with the Honey Badger video, then Steve-O customized it for our purposes.

but yes, fat bike don't give a sh#t.

and...I'll never understand the weight weenie-complex being applied to fat bikes. seems counter-intuitive to me and the purpose of the fat bike. but, to each his own I guess.

I dunno, my pug weighs 37 pounds. Between the weight of the bike, the rider and the rolling resistance of the tires, it's a bit of work to get around. I could see the benefits of a 30 # fatty.
    Lance Lau

saw that. I'm not worried. If I haven't cracked it yet, it's not going to happen anytime soon.
    Lance Lau

saw that. I'm not worried. If I haven't cracked it yet, it's not going to happen anytime soon.
    I'd be more concerned about the forks steer tube.

I'll take it off & check the build date.
    Lance Lau

I has matching numbers. What does I win?
    Lance Lau

I has matching numbers. What does I win?
    Probably want to give the LBS a call and have them take care of the warranty process.