Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: talk me down...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Some Ardent 2.4 tires on a set of P-35s or Gordos would give you some added float on soft surfaces albeit not as much as a fat bike.
    That's what I said.

My bottom bracket lasted 3 months...
    By that time I had 300 off-road miles on it. It got wet and dirty A LOT.

what pressures were you running? the only flats I've seen guys get were from sidewall slits or pinch flats 'cuz there wasn't enough pressure. run the correct pressure for the terrain and you should be fine. but, all bikes flat - not just fatties.
    About 7-8psi in the snow or sand. 10-12psi in the summer time when the weather was fine. No pinch flats, just picking up thorns and thangs.

which consequently results in a less than 1 mile walk back to the parking lot at any of our trail systems. the longest being ScoCoPa, which at anytime you're right near the road so you can basically coast back to the trailhead.
    Yes which is fine if you only ride in the QC. Go to Missouri, Wisconsin, Minnesota etc where you can easily get 10 miles from the trailhead and it can become a big issue. Once you've gone through your spares, you have to find the nearest fire road or forest service road and make your way back to the trailhead.

gotta pay to play.
    Can't argue with that! We said the same thing in our drag racing days.

horses for courses. there's no One-Bike-to-Rule-Them-All, but for gigantic's needs I believe the fat bike is gonna bring him greater joy over the other option.
    I believe the 29er will bring him greater joy than a fat bike, so there! :-P In all seriousness, I'm sure he will enjoy the fat bike immensely.

FWIW I accumulated over 600 miles off-road riding on my Mukluk in Iowa, Missouri, and Wisconsin. I didn't get to ride Minnesota until after I got the 29er.

All this talk about fatties makes me want to ride one. Should of done that at the fest. Congrats on the new fatty, I'm sure you will have a blast. I've never seen someone riding one that wasn't smiling.

Looks like we will be bike brothers, Lance.

The fatty brings me back to being a kid riding a bike. I'm not out looking for trails to ride, I'm looking for adventures that can be had while on a bike. Riding on the Wapsi River on the ice, through shallow crossings, snow and sandbars is some of the most fun I've had on a bike. I can't wait to get back to the trails on my 29er but this fatbike in the winter is making me fall in love with winter and biking all over again.
    Last edited by Westy_3; 01-03-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Sweet! Congrats. I had no clue about fatties. Was 'fattie curious', Ray let me ride his Pug to see how nimble, a square deal on a Muk posted right hare on FORC site, on a whim I bought it - my first whole -bike purchase in 12 years. I had no idea what I was in for. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!
    As many other FORCrs have already said, its renewed Fun. Hopefully you'll find the same.
    Enjoy!

^^^ and there it is.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

That yellow is sexy. I want to see a fire engine red Pug in person. I'm thinking about getting a pair of those Salsa bars for my commuter, too. Comfy.

I have to say that just riding my 29er in the snow, for the two days that we had it, made me feel like a kid again. I keep looking at the forecast in hopes of snow, but our temps are hovering around 40° for the next 2 weeks. #stupidclimatechange
    Lance Lau

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantic View Post
    I have to say that just riding my 29er in the snow, for the two days that we had it, made me feel like a kid again. I keep looking at the forecast in hopes of snow, but our temps are hovering around 40° for the next 2 weeks. #stupidclimatechange
    Same thing with my single speed 26". Then I rode a fattie... I don't need one, but I don't need more than one of the bikes that I have. A fattie will be in the budget after my adventure touring bike, or maybe it will be my adventure touring bike?

Pugsleys have been known to crack

Last edited by Byke Dood; 01-03-2013 at 08:46 PM.
    Get out and ride !!

Quote Originally Posted by Byke Dood View Post
    Pugsleys have been known to crack
    Does Surly warranty the frame?

EDIT: 3 years for the OG owner.

Last edited by dgw2jr; 01-03-2013 at 08:53 PM.

Don't try to weld an old one at home

Get out and ride !!

What the heck did you quote my long post for, Chief? :confused:

^^^ and there it is lol

Surly warrants all their frames if bought from an authorized dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Surly warrants all their frames if bought from an authorized dealer.
    I wonder if that counts that my LBS got if from an authorized dealer? As far as i know, the cracks were mostly limited to the white frames and that the issues have been addressed with revised construction at the junction of the upper stays and the seat post. I was going to get the last 2012 white one from REI ($50 cheaper than the '13), then my LBS found one in Long Island and is having it shipped. I got to use my 10% good customer discount and saved a bunch more. #winning
    Lance Lau

I wonder if that counts that my LBS got if from an authorized dealer? As far as i know, the cracks were mostly limited to the white frames and that the issues have been addressed with revised construction at the junction of the upper stays and the seat post. I was going to get the last 2012 white one from REI ($50 cheaper than the '13), then my LBS found one in Long Island and is having it shipped. I got to use my 10% good customer discount and saved a bunch more. #winning
    You shouldn't have an issue warrantying through your LBS.

I got it! Too bad it's to wet and warm to ride.
    Lance Lau

Wow, looks great! If it's not too sloppy on Friday I'd be up for riding Sylvan if you can manage it.

I'd join you, but I'm in Philadelphia at the moment.
    I'll be working at the New York International Motorcycle Show that day, but I've put together a Philly fat bike ride sunday am at Valley Forge. it's weird, there are way more riders here, but by and large, philadelphia has neither the community nor the organization y'all have in FORC for fat bikes & mt biking in general. You're very fortunate.
    Lance Lau

it's weird, there are way more riders here, but by and large, philadelphia has neither the community nor the organization y'all have in FORC for fat bikes & mt biking in general. You're very fortunate.
    To be perfectly honest with you, neither does CO. Sure, we have a lot of great trail, but I haven't found a club that's as awesome as FORC.

DAMN IT, thats a nice fatty, NOW I WANT ONE!!! CONGRATS!

What I hate the most is they have pugs that match my car (the one you got, yellow with a bit of black)............DAMN YOU

How to convince my wife to let me save up this season for one since i JUST paid off my Marlin less than a week ago. Is there anything wrong with having like 4-5 bikes???

I see a guy around here rides his fatty from here over the bridge to clinton, guessing to work, and home EVERY DAY, 3 inches+ of snow on the roads and hes cruising right past me and im in my car or truck. He gets around town in the crap better than my car can.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigris99 View Post
    Is there anything wrong with having like 4-5 bikes???
    ask me, heck no!

ask my wife, ... wait... don't ask my wife.

Board Position
    President

You could ask mine. She would have no idea. 7 but who's counting.
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

well if, or I should say when since half the club has Fattys, will put me up to 4 by that point cause I plan to buy a BB road bike for riding pavement here nad riding to/from work during nice weather. Wont be anything fancy, bikes get stolen WAY too often in Clinton so a brand name would be gone as soon a I turned my back if locked up outside. Shes ok at that right now cause road bike will be cheap (schwinn varsity probably). But I had to suck up to spend 700 on the marlin, suck up BIG TIME, so how to hide $1600 for a Pugs and lie about the cost.... got several months to plan this, probably employ some club help. Maybe Ill land one of these new jobs I have been applying for so I could save up and hand her $700 and say go shopping the day I bring it home. I blame all this new problem on gigantic, if I didnt see that yellow and black pugs I wouldnt have this problem hehe

Count your blessings. That's a good problem to have. ;-)