Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
Some Ardent 2.4 tires on a set of P-35s or Gordos...
have 'em both. not even close to the float of a true fat tire (3.8"+)

My bottom bracket lasted 3 months...
really?? all the dudes I've been riding with have had their fatties for over a year - none of 'em have replaced a BB...and that's with the BB completely submerged in the high quality water of the Mississippi River.

I went through countless tubes...
what pressures were you running? the only flats I've seen guys get were from sidewall slits or pinch flats 'cuz there wasn't enough pressure. run the correct pressure for the terrain and you should be fine. but, all bikes flat - not just fatties.

Get a flat out on the trail, tubed or tubeless, and you will most likely end up walking...
which consequently results in a less than 1 mile walk back to the parking lot at any of our trail systems. the longest being ScoCoPa, which at anytime you're right near the road so you can basically coast back to the trailhead.

Slit a sidewall on a fat tire and you are out at least 90 bucks if you want a decent tire...
gotta pay to play.

I feel the 29er does even better in places where there are big rocks and other things you can't necessarily plow over...
horses for courses. there's no One-Bike-to-Rule-Them-All, but for gigantic's needs I believe the fat bike is gonna bring him greater joy over the other option.