Thread: talk me down...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

took her out for it's maiden spin at Valley Forge today... She's one fat girl that I'm not ashamed to be seen riding. We did a 10.4 mile loop, 2 fat bikes, 2 29ers. Even though the guys on the 29ers were in much better shape (they're roadies), they had a hard time keeping up with the fatties. The Pugsley is a world of difference away from my Specialized- the wheelbase is nearly 4" shorter and handles appreciatively better. In spite of the quicker steering, it feels more stable, too. Bombing the descents, which has been almost terrifying on the 29er, it just flew down, easy as pie. It's almost as if line selection is irrelevant; in one section, I entered the hill too late and the line I was on took me into a root with a wicked drop, I just hucked it and kept rolling down the hill. That line on my Hardrock, with it's crappy suntour fork would have put me on my head. I think I'll keep my CX tires on the specialized and maybe put drops on there too. It'll be a better urban commuter; I don't see it seeing much single track for a while.

Once you go fat, do you ever go back?
    Lance Lau

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantic View Post
    at Valley Forge
    Sounds epic. Jealous; love our Revolutionary history.

She's one fat girl that I'm not ashamed to be seen riding.
    Guy from my generation of jokes -- like riding a Moped :-) Fatbikes don't fit that category!

it just flew down, easy as pie. It's almost as if line selection is irrelevant
    Agreed! Lotta guys in the club have great control & finesse on their Fattie. I'm not that smooth; have to take advantage of chaotic momentum to keep upright.

Once you go fat, do you ever go back?
    Got over 1k miles on Muk since july 1 (commuting, tour, trash, brewtour, singletrack, stomping, etc). Prolly only 100 miles on my old 26" XCaliber since then. Beauty is only skin deep. Fatties will do it anywhere!

FWIW -- to share some things I picked up from other club members or learned (the hard way). Disregard at your preference:
    Its not all about shaving weight -- rolling mass has its advantages on a Fattie.
    Black floyds in the summer can save your knobs (expensive) for when they matter.
    Get a low pressure tire gauge if you don't already. As Milky mentioned, handling at 3psi is diff from 5psi.
    I weigh about 165lbs -- 2 psi each tire is about the lowest working for me (on very icy/crunchy snow & mud & sand. And wow sometimes what a commute workout!). I normally run about 5psi w/the Surly tubes w/heavy sidewalls help avoid pinch flats. In past 1 1/2 month or so, been running 5oz Stans inside each tube. No flats since then riding across RR tracks, curbs, commuting, TRASH riding along shore of heavy polluted Mississippi w/broken glass, fish hooks, nails, , etc
    Consider the 40gm Innovate Big Air -- it helps if your time is limited, and carry pump for backup.

Most of all, the Fattie will open up a whole new riding adventure if you make it happen. BadFish introduced me to stomping grounds around Credit Island rivershore. Wow -- a Fatbike Playground!! Find similar, it helps Fatties bring some new smiles. I'm using (some say abusing) my Fattie now, but she's not complaining yet. This pic doesn't show well, but the X7 is frozen, caked w/mud & water FROZEN not shifting, from 3-4hrs Thur nt riding in 6-10" of Mississippi 50yds at a time, sometimes more, water over tops & inside boots and all. Look close can see the 1/8" ice on the rim (or parts it flaked off). Whole new world of riding -- fun every single minute. A quick 5 minute wash, resetting H & L on X7, and oil or purple magic on EVERYTHING, and good to go. To quote Milky again -- Fattie don't give a S#!T
    Attachment 445

Quote Originally Posted by Guldy View Post
    To quote Milky again -- Fattie don't give a S#!T
    ah, man...thanks for the credit but I can't accept.

I believe the phrase began with the Honey Badger video, then Steve-O customized it for our purposes.

but yes, fat bike don't give a sh#t.

and...I'll never understand the weight weenie-complex being applied to fat bikes. seems counter-intuitive to me and the purpose of the fat bike. but, to each his own I guess.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."