Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
Interesting set of responses. I could argue that a critical mass does and can educate both riders and motorists therefore lowering douchiness levels across the board. Maybe. But if you're a douche to begin with you're going to be a douche at the end of it.

As a person who has not owned a car in 4 1/2 years and does not take the bus, I ride everywhere. 99.9% of the time I ride on the road - which is, don't forget, everyday - I have no issues whatsoever. Sometimes I make a mistake and sometimes the motorists makes a mistake but for the most part, people on the road are pretty well educated and accept that cyclists are becoming more prominent. I'm sure the motorist who backed up traffic in your last night's voyage is just a confused driver and hesitates even when cyclists are not involved. Maybe not, but I bet they have forgotten about it. You (whoever you are) allegedly made a legal signal and there was a bit of confusion on the motorists end. That's it. I bet you passed more vehicles than you could count with no problems. But I could be wrong.

The riders of a critical mass are fat, skinny, short, tall, naked, roadies, mountain bikers, tricycle riders and everything in-between. It is not exclusive and is meant to reinforce that cyclists have every single right to any city or country road that a motorists does. That doesn't mean people have to be jerks, It means everybody should enjoy themselves and meet new people and experience new things. If you learn something along the way, great.

If you choose to not participate, that's your business, I'm simply trying to galvanize the QC cycling community and maybe drink a couple of beers while doing so.
The first negative resonse to your post should have been, I don't agree with this but it should be brought up at the next meeting and talked about so everyone's opinions can be listened to and we will go from there. It is the voices of all that make good decissions not just the voice of one man or woman. Dictatorships work well if your only concern is that ones self does not smell like vinigar.