Thread: Carrier

Default Carrier

Is there any particular brand of vehicle bike racks that are considered to be the best. On the flip side, anybody know of any that I should avoid? I need one that mounts in a trailer hitch. I have a Ford Expedition and it would be too difficult to mount it on top
    Four wheels are fun, two wheels are freedom

I know a few peeps with the 1UpUSA racks and love em.

http://www.1upusa.com/bicycleracks.html

I've owned racks from Thule and Yakima, all have been good quality.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Board Position
    President

Love the Kuat I got!
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

+1 on the Kuat NV, although the Thule T2 is a close second. The 1Up racks are good too from what I see and hear, but I have no firsthand experience with them. Hard to go wrong with just about any platform hitch rack, regardless of manufacturer, although the saris cycle-on is probably my least favorite.
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

Ok, thank you all for your input. It's a great help and I appreciate it

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

See, whatcha do is find some a#%hole who works at a shop to get you a deal... Just sayin!
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkn1 View Post
    See, whatcha do is find some a#%hole who works at a shop to get you a deal... Just sayin!

I have the Thule T2 and really like it.
    I wanna ride!

I don't know anyone here. I left the area after I graduated and went in the Army. After ten years, I got out because of injuries. None of my friends from before ride and all the ones that actually do ride live in Tennessee, so I'm basically starting over. That's why I get on here with all my dumb questions LOL. Don't know who else to ask :-)

I really appreciate all the input everyone. You all have been a big help. Also, this spring I'd like to help on the trails, I'm a disabled vet and don't work so I have plenty of time on my hands. Just need pointed in the right direction

The only dumb question is the one that was never asked. These guys will take you under their wing and keep you warm. Keep on asking questions by all means.

Quote Originally Posted by Carve View Post
    The only dumb question is the one that was never asked. These guys will take you under their wing and keep you warm. Keep on asking questions by all means.
    Agreed. I'm sure you may have stumbled across MTBR by now but it's best to get your information from locals.

Regarding the bike rack, if you wanna go cheap there is Walmart hitch mount rack 1.25 inch for 80 bucks that holds 2 bikes. I have one on my janky civic. There is a Hollywood rack on our other car that is good as well. It keeps the bikes from scratching each other.
    Last edited by dgw2jr; 12-18-2012 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iowacannondale View Post
    I really appreciate all the input everyone. You all have been a big help. Also, this spring I'd like to help on the trails, I'm a disabled vet and don't work so I have plenty of time on my hands. Just need pointed in the right direction
    If you really want to get involved in the MTB community of the QC, there isn't a better group of people to know than FORCers- I know from experience. Trust me when I say, if you have time on your hands there isn't a more rewarding way to use it than helping to build and maintain trail. The satisfaction you get from riding trail you helped build and or maintain is thrilling.

Regarding the rack- 1upUSA is #1. The real question is who is #2?
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Whatever you pick, I'd try to avoid the kind that holds the bike by the top tube. They will scratch your bike no matter what you do, and are a pain with some full suspensions or more than one bike. The kind that mounts on the tire are a lot faster to mount/dismount the bike from the rack, won't scratch your bike, and many come with locks. They are more money, but in my opinion are worth every penny.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am resisting making a "nice rack" joke...

On the other hand, I bought a T2 from Scott fom the Geneseo store and love it! He has been extremely helpful in many ways AND he comes to the FORC meetings!

Ok. Thank you. I didn't that those kind would scratch the bikes. I just bought a new one, definitely don't need any unnecessary scratches. It'll get plenty from riding