Our MTB101 classes came about from two factors: my exhusband and I being exasperated watching people ride paved bike paths with mtn bikes / gear, and riding the trails and seeing newer people struggling and us ending up working with them during rides. Because I was a newer rider at the time the MTB101 concept came up, we documented my progress (or lack thereof) and things that challenged me or caused me to crash, and from that came the topics/skills in our MTB101 -- most all that you describe. We built obstacles to teach riders the basics, and then found similar natural features on the trail that we'd hit on the group ride to show rider's real-life examples. From that, quite a few really good riders from FORC kicked in to help add complexity. You should see some of the amazing obstacles they built!! Super fun stuff! The MTB101 is dynamic and any input/contribution you can offer, we'd gladly accept!

And, then guys started asking me to take their women riding in hopes that they'd catch the mtn biking bug. That evolved into "No Chicks Left Behind" sessions the last couple years. We've got a few more women riding now but in my opinion, not nealy enough! There are several of us now who have attended paid mtn bike skills classes to improve our skills and to learn teaching techniques that we can bring back and share with our newer riders. It is pretty exciting to see more and more women empassioned about mtn biking!

Most recently, one of our guys put together a "Take A Kid Mtn Biking" session where after securing donations, each participant received a new helmet, water bottle, etc. and one of our local bike shops (Bike One) did bike maintenance/repairs on participant's bike at no cost to the participant. There was a team of FORCers working with these kids, and the smiles on the kids' faces said it all! Good stuff!!