Thread: IMBA Chapter Program, is it right for FORC?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

I imagine the auto membership renewal reminders will save those who take care of that aspect of the club considerable time and frustration once the information is in the system. It also sounds like any new members will be entering their own info into the database online when they sign up via the IMBA website? If Internet access is available at the venue then we could register new members.

How much is it going to cost for FORC to gain 501(c)3 status on its own? Less than $500? Am I correct in remembering someone say it was going to cost +$1000 and a bunch of effort to go it alone? I agree that we should pursue tax exempt status even if we do not agree on going chapter, but this is an easy route to get that status quickly and probably for less money.

Right now, what percentage of our operating income comes from membership fees and special events? 25% and 75% respectively?

I agree that 60% seems like a large chunk unless you work through the math (as Eric has done). It only applies to membership fees; not donations to the club or funds raised from our special events (our main source of income). Chapter also allows access to more funding through means we were not able to pursue without tax exempt status.

I recently read that IMBA plans to decrease the share they take once the chapter program is well established because they will be able to offer the services for less cost due to economies of scale. I would like to have this confirmed but even if it doesn't change the 60/40 issue should not be a deal breaker.

Another aspect of the chapter program is the potential for attracting new members. IMBA members will be alerted to the nearest chapter club(s) and be given the option of joining one. I don't expect this to cause a large influx of members but it will be another way to let people know we exist.

As a trail steward, I expect the chapter program to give us more credibility with land managers (LM). One big concern with LMs is how long an organization is going to be around to take care of the trails they build because LMs can't/don't want to deal with the maintenance. If we are affiliated with a large international organization it will show that we are committed to the long term. Building trails isn't cheap and even small projects can cost in excess of $1K. 501(c)3 status is also going to make it easier to ask and receive funding or material donations for future trail projects and we will get to keep more of the money because we won't be paying sales tax. It sounds like we will also have greater access to IMBA's professional trail building services which in itself is a large credibility builder. This alone should signal to LMs that we have the knowledge and resources to design and build sustainable trails. I realize that land access issues are not a huge issue at the moment, but there are a few areas with potential for more trail development where we may have to push a little harder to make progress.
    Last edited by DH001; 10-18-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DH001 View Post
    How much is it going to cost for FORC to gain 501(c)3 status on its own? Less than $500? Am I correct in remembering someone say it was going to cost +$1000 and a bunch of effort to go it alone?
    If I remember correctly from the last discussion we had concerning applying for 501(c)3 on our own, the application & legal fees were around $2000. It has been some time since that conversation so it is possible that I'm mistaken, but I remember it being very costly and incredibly time consuming which is why we ultimately decided to table the subject.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."