Im a new guy here and hard to really put my opinion in much because im new the whole MTB scene. Im here to show support by helping anyway I can and ride with the awesome ppl I have met (and to meet more) when I hit the trails.

I see pros and cons. Which puts me somewhat in the middle. But I am one that if money is going to be spent, what its going towards is going under a microscope (extra, not NEEDED spending). I spent 2 weeks deciding on the biek I ride right now and 2 months of off and on research to decide I was buying a Trek Marlin. Always have to make sure what I am spending the money on is worth it. IE is it really worth paying $300 more for a bike that weighs 2lbs less? Exaggerated a tad I know but you get the idea. So does the means justify the end???

Heres what im getting outta this:

Pros:
-National Recognition- Bring in national lvl events, events we host could be nationally advertised, be taken more "seriously"
-A louder voice! Those who scream the loudest get results. Better cooperation and better relations with all lvls of govt depts. More power to make sure our trails stay just that, our trails. By that meaning, they belong to the riders, some corporation etc cant come in and decide they want part of the land our trails are on cause we have a national voice that will put up a hellava fight.
-Doors open to more opportunities that can grow the club to lvls far beyond current limits.
-Increase member base for several reasons. More exposure over a wider area, being part of IMBA alone would gain some (few or many, I have NO idea), being part of something bigger that's goal is to enjoy the love of riding and keep it around for younger generations to enjoy.

And I could probably add more too if I thought more, but thats the jist of what I got out of it and kinda my opinion on what comes from it.

Cons:
-The cost is the big one. Seems they want a lot, though they could be offering a lot. Why the cost, read the site they get huge grants, why do clubs need to carry so much of the burden. The clubs expenses are going to be close to as high as a larger club, but income is less because of several reasons. In our case lower population area, we arent located in regions with massive state and national parks that draw in massive numbers of ppl on a regular basis and so on. Not a thing wrong with it (I hate massive crowds hehe) BUt we have to match % of any other club with less income to work with, seems hardly fair. Im not sure clubs expenses, but from the sounds of it, things get by now with bit to spare, if that income is cut by over half, operation is going to be difficult from the time between starting up as a chapter and member base increasing enough to bring income back to current lvl.
-Club officers shouldnt have to increase their load just to have the benefits offered, starts taking the fun away when it becomes another job, trust me I KNOW! which this may NOT be a con, but i dont know being I dont know how they would be effected.

Overall I think it would benefit the club hugely to join, in the long run, but can it be afforded/justified at this point in time??? Besides the membership fee cost and joining fee, what else is it going to asked of the club and more the officers by doing this? Or is it going to require nothing else, things remain roughly the same where workload is concerned, just things done differently? Being as I dont really know much about things now; events,day to day, and so on whatever is decided is going to be what I come to know, and Ill fully support either way.

In my honest opinion, knowing simply what i do right this minute, I would vote yes. BUT, and I stress the BUT, i dont know what goes on day to day behind the scenes and i dont know how joining would effect those that deal with it. I would very strongly ask that all of you speak up about how this would effect YOU. Us base members are much less effected and see more benefit than anything else but DO CARE about what your going to have to deal with cause without the officers and such, club and trails wouldnt be here.