We have a big project is in the works for Illiniwek. A switchback corner is needed to create a sustainable reroute to the steep climb near the creek on the North Loop. We have been working the last few weeks to prep for this project and are getting close to starting.

Start time is 9:00 AM for both Sat. and Sun. 13-14 Oct. and we will be working for 3-4 hours depending on the turnout. Meet in the main parking lot off of IL Rt-84. I can provide more detailed directions if needed.

We will be hauling ~130 60lb retaining wall blocks as well as ~3 tons of gravel to the construction site with the help of a Mucktruck motorized wheelbarrow. If you have experience using one of these let me know and you can be in charge of it for the day.

We also need anyone who has had experience building retaining walls for landscaping applications. The lower leg of the switchback requires retaining wall which tapers from ground level to 3' in height over a length of 25' (see images below). The wall will be fitted with a drainage system.

Also needed is someone with a truck/trailer that can transport the Mucktruck (weights about 200 lbs; L:61" x W:28" x H:34") from Avenue Rentals located at 1308 State Street, Bettendorf, IA before 5PM Friday the 12th or at 7-8AM Saturday morning. The machine will also need to be transported to a secure area (my house is close) after we are finished for the day and transported back to the work site the following day. Let me know if you want to be in charge of this.

All other materials are going to be delivered to the park by the suppliers.

In addition to the switchback, we have quite a bit of trail to construct. If we have enough people, we will split into groups and work on multiple projects.

We have budgeted for food for the volunteers which will probably be pizza or sub sandwiches. Let me know if you are planning on coming so I can get an idea of how many tools and how much food is needed. If you have your own tools (flat shovels & rogue hoes) please bring them.

Concept Renderings: